Infantry close combat/close assault/hand-to-hand

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

gregoryk

Infantry close combat/close assault/hand-to-hand

Post by gregoryk »

I am looking for any websites, books, army manuals, or other reference materials that give any information, historical accounts, narratives, training, etc, relating to infantry close combat. By close combat I mean any close quarters combat, say less than 100m or yds, right up to actual contact. Though I have quite a bit, I am interested in what other info may be out there.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
gregoryk

P.S. Also posted on TMP.

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Google CQB and HJ Poole's "Last 100 Yards".

There are dozens of CALL handbooks including "Cordon & Search" #04-16 just to name one of many that deal with the basics of the subject.

I just punched up CQB on Amazon and got these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listma ... oding=UTF8

Perhaps John Poole's books are the best from the military point of view...
Here is a listing of his books with some pretty good reviews by people who should know with experience or books of their own noted...

Posterity Press' The Last Hundred Yards - The NCO's Contribution to Warfare, One More Bridge to Cross: Lowering the Cost of War, Phantom Soldier: The Enemy's Answer to U.S. Firepower and The Tiger's Way: A U.S. Private's Best Chance of Survival by H.J. "John" Poole, were written to help NCO's and officers master maneuver warfare at the small-unit level.

Bruce I. Gudmundsson, co-author of On Infantry, called The Last Hundred Yards "the best book written on ground tactics in English in the last 50 years."

Col. David H. Hackworth U.S. Army (Ret.), had this to say about One More Bridge to Cross: Lowering the Cost of War - “Every grunt leader — from squad to division — should read this book and then keep it in their pack to be thumbed through regularly until they hang up their rifles.â€￾

William S. Lind, author of Maneuver Warfare Handbook, said that Phantom Soldier ". . . presents the Oriental way of war . . . understandably. If official [U.S.] field manuals remain largely unimaginative and uninspired, there is no reason [American] squad leaders and platoon and company commanders must let their own tactics and techniques be set-piece and predictable. Here, as in his previous books, John Poole offers a better way."

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900