T-80 (mini) question...what are these things?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Azure

T-80 (mini) question...what are these things?

Post by Azure »

In addition to WWII vehicles, i also have an affinity for modern military vehicles too. As i wait on my T-34s, i decided to paint up some GHQ T-80s with reactive armour and Leo IIs i have, and in the package with the T-80s is a small sprue of tiny parts...and they arent machine guns for the commander's side of the turret roof...they LOOK like an open hatch, with smoke dischargers on them?!? There is a small pin on them to mount them, and a small hole in the turret roof the pin fits into...but doesnt look right to me. I studied every pic i have (or could find) of T-80 tanks, and can find no such object in any photo...any help?

There is a MG in that spot, but these teeny parts arent MGs...anyone built any of these, that can shed some light on this? The parts are too tiny for me to be able to get a good picture of them.

Thanks for enduring all my questions, Azure
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

I don't have the GHQ's, but I do have 15mm's. Have a look at these pics & describe to me what your question is

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vor92/alb ... /my_photos

Azure

Post by Azure »

OK, it appears that the parts i have are the "bracket" that mounts the machine gun, directly in front of the commander's hatch. After looking at your pics, the part that looks like a hatch (on mine) is not a solid component, yours is better detailed because of the bigger scale-so, i guess its the bracket and (the part that looks vaguely like a smoke discharger) ammunition can or part of the mount-mine dont have the MG itsself, but thanks for the pics, i think i now know where and how it mounts!

yay!!

thanks again, Azure
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

That square-ish looking thing behind the AAMG that has a hole in the middle, is actually a shield. It can go up or down on the real tank (or even be omiited altogether)

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

When you say commander's hatch, you mean the port side, right? The starboard side hatch is the loader's (the one with the AAMG)

predator06
E5

Post by predator06 »

The Port side hatch is the Gunners hatch. The Starboard side Hatch is the Comanders hatch. The T80 Has a Mechanical auto loader and a crew of 3. just like the T72. not shure about the GHQ part in question, But it sounds like it could, (should?) be a commanders gun shield for the 12.7mm DsHK, just as mentioned above.
Enjoy the war,

Because the Peace Is going to be hell!

BattlerBritain
E5

Post by BattlerBritain »

Here's a good piccie of a T-80:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land ... 04_JPG.jpg

You can see the commanders gun-shield at the top left.