Unit Organization

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Azure

Unit Organization

Post by Azure »

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread related to a topic i see pop up from time to time, and thats one to post questions (or answers, links, etc) about unit organization.
I (as i have a neverending supply of questions) have one to start off as well. I am attempting to build my first actual "unit" for gaming, a Russian armored batallion Circa 1942-1943 ish. Now, my question is, were all types of tanks the same in Russian units, or would 2 companies of T-34s operate in the same batallion with, say, one company of KV-1s or T-70s? Also, were the Russian Tank Destroyers in their own units, or did they get mixed in with "normal" types of armor, like T-34s? and lastly, how many infantry would normally operate with 3 companies of tanks? I tried searching, but all the info i could find on Russian unit organization was 1946 or later. Thanks, Azure
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

Mobius
E5

Post by Mobius »

Hi Azure, I recenlty looked into the TO&Es of the Russian to make some diagrams.
I made some pdfs of these. They can be downloaded from links from my home page.
http://www.panzer-war.com/
The are included in the Armor TO&E file.

In a nutshell July of 1942 the Russians light tank battalion had 10 light tanks and 10 T-34 tanks and one command tank. At that time the medium tank battalion became two companies of 10 T-34s each plus a command tank.
All your tanks are belong to us.
Panzer War rule system

Azure

Post by Azure »

Why Thank you Mobius! Lots of good stuff there!
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

pmskaar
E5

Unit Organizations

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Azure

Another good source that I used is Red Army Handbook, 1939-1945 from Steven J. Zaloga and Leland S. Ness. This is a great source for showing the evolution of various Red Army organizations including armored formations during the course of the war. 1942 was a year of transition for the Red armored forces so you might want to consider which 1942 organization you are modeling.
Starting in December a typical tank battalion would have 8 T-60 light tanks in 1 company, 10 T-34's in another company and then 5 KV-1's made up the 3rd heavy company.
Starting in July 1942 this organization changed. The new organization had 1 battalion of T-34's with 3 companies of 10 tanks each plus a T-34 for the battalion HQ. Also in the brigade was a light tank battalion of 2 companies of T-60's or T-70's(both were available at this time) with 10 tanks each plus a T-60 or T-70 for the battalion HQ. There was also a T-34 for the brigade HQ as well. The KV-1s were combined into separate regiments at this time as their slow speed did not allow them to keep up with the rest of the battalion.
This is a good source book for all the combat branches and I have found it a great tool in creating my 1942 Russian units.

Pete - Binpicker, Out!