Forum night?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

CBoy3

Forum night?

Post by CBoy3 »

Hi,

I've been mostly a lurker on the forum for quite awhile now. A lot of times I see a posting that sparks a question for the poster, but doesn't warrant making a post. Occasionally I will send a private e-mail, but most of the time I just let it go. I have often times thought that it may be fun, and useful, to have a set "Forum Night". Everyone who wanted to could then be on at the same time, and maybe get some semi- real time dialogue going. Has this idea ever crossed anyone else's mind? Maybe we could ask GHQ if it is possible to add some type of open dialogue feature. I think that it would be great to be able to watch, and maybe participate in, a conversation with guys like Ritter, the bin picker guy, JB, and many others. These guys do incredible work that I can only dream of. Does this idea sound appealing to anyone else? We could pick a time like 9 PM EST on thursdays, or whatever, and see if it works. Anyone else interested? What times would be best?

pmskaar
E5

Nightly Forum

Post by pmskaar »

the bin picker guy? What! I don't even rate capital letters for my handle? In the words of Rodney Dangerfield - I get no respect. Just having some fun here. On the original subject of the posting here I'm okay with it if its something GHQ wants to do.

Pete - Binpicker, Out!

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...I don't mind talking about anything 6mm,I don't know if I can dedicate specific times...
John

GHQ
Site Admin

Post by GHQ »

This sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately we don't know what we can do to make it happen. It's really up to all of the forum users to speak up and say that they would be interested. If this interests anyone, all that we can suggest is that you post and say that you are interested, and try throwing out some times and days that you think would be good. 8 or 9 pm est sounds like a good time for everyone in the USA, it wouldn't work too well for everyone outside of the USA time zones.

Obviously we have a lot of very talented people who regularly read and post on this forum, and if we can get some more direct communication going between everyone, it would be great. As the original poster mentioned, guys like JB, Troy, and Pete (we know who you are) are great modelers, and there are many others here too who are spread across the whole world. We would love to be able to provide a place for all of you to more easily be together in real-time communication. We will talk with our website designer and see if there is some type of chat room software that we can add to give a real-time forum discussion. Of course that gets back to the idea of having a time that a lot of people are on at the same time. If this idea sounds good to a lot of you, we will look into adding something like that. For the time being, if a set Forum Night sounds good to a lot of you, go for it. If there is anything that we can do to help out, let us know.

Thanks,
GHQ

PS Maybe first try it for one time, rather than a set weekly or monthly session and see how that works.

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

The "bin-picker guy." He, he. :P

Azure

Post by Azure »

A forum night (or chat room as GHQ mentioned as a possibility) sounds like a good idea to me.
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

Thunder
E5

Post by Thunder »

I just installed this:

http://www.microarmor.com/chat/

You can use it if it is what you were thinking. I can customize it for GHQ if they would like. Pick a time and try it out. The 'chat history' is hit and miss right now. I'll see what I can do about that. The realtime chat seems just fine. --cb

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...it wouldn't let me sign in :cry:
John

Thunder
E5

Post by Thunder »

I have been able to log in on a Windows XP machine with IE 6 and Firefox. Also, on a Mac, OS X, I could log in with Safari. Any one else having problems? If so, what OS and browser?

Thanks.

GHQ
Site Admin

Post by GHQ »

Thanks Thunderer, we will show this to our website developers. We really appreciate you putting that together. Not many people have chimed in- does having real time chat interest you? does the forum night? We discussed it around here, and if that does interest some of you, then we could publicize it by sending out an e-mail to everyone on our list. Just let us know what day and what time you think is the best.

Thanks,
GHQ

Thunder
E5

Post by Thunder »

Sounds good. Not sure how many folks will use it though. Anyway, there it is. Other php scripts out there too so if this isn't the right one, there are more for free or cheap.

Azure

Post by Azure »

I like the sound of it, live "chat" would be best, but if the cost is prohibitive, a forum night would be alright. Id say, as previously mentioned, a weeknight around 9 or so EST, would be good for those of us in the US...would leave out those in the UK and europe tho, unless they wanted to stay up quite late
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

Thunder
E5

Post by Thunder »

What do you mean by "Live Chat" Any text based system like the one above or something like an Instant Messanger is very cheap to run if you have an estimated 50 users or less on at a time. There are free IM servers out there like Jabber too. Very little bandwidth or CPU usage and thus low cost (but not free).

If you are talking actual audible chat like a Skype type thing, that does chew up the bandwidth and probably the CPU cycles too. More money to host this type of thing.

Azure

Post by Azure »

Im basically computer illiterate...i didnt know there were free chat programs and things like that. :oops: