RAF ground support aircraft in North Africa

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jb
E5

RAF ground support aircraft in North Africa

Post by jb »

Would anybody happen to have the types of aircraft that were available to the UK in the desert campaign?
Also if you have pictures of the aircraft I think that would be most enjoyable for all. :D
Psst Psst batllerbritain
John

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

OK, lets see if I can do this from memory, and not muck it up too much...

Fighters:
Gladiator (very early, v. Italians)
Hurricane I
Spitfire Vb
Kittyhawk, Kittyhawk II (P-40B, P-40C)
Tomahawk (P-40E)
Tomahawk Mk. 1

Ground Attack
Westland Lysander ("Army Co-op")
Hurricane IIb
Hurricane IIc
Hurricane IId (twin 40mm)
Beaufighter (various marks)

Bombers:
Wellington (very early)
(may also have been a few Whitleys?)
Maryland
Baltimore
Boston
Boston II

I think that is most of 'em. Or not.
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

groundlber
E5

RAF Aircraft - North Africa

Post by groundlber »

Mark I - You've got a good memory. The only combat aircraft you missed were the Typhoon IB; it was used as a ground attack aircraft starting in 1941; and the Hudson was used as a bomber in the early part of the campaign. Strategy and Tactics magazine had an excellent article on the North African Air Campaign in issue #198.
There were also a variety of other aircraft used in support roles: my two favorites were Dragoon Rapides as air ambulances and Swoedfish torpedo bombers as partof the anti shipping campaign. Remember that the RAF had provided aircrew for the Fleet Air Arm.
The RAF didn't consider ground attack a high priority task between the wars. Witness the use of Westland Lysanders as the main 'army cooperation' aircraft at the start of World War two. At least it was a monoplane.
The British (and later the Americans) learned how to conduct air operations in a fast moving battlefield during the campaign. The 'on the job' training was expensive in terms of casulties and missed opportunities' but the lessons learned were put to good use in Europe.
I won't bore everyone with the details. For gaming purposes, for the first year of the campaign, direct air support would be both light and erratic. Early 1942 would be a time in transition, and by late '42 the RAF and 8th Army had mostly gotten their act together.
I hope this helps with your gaming.
Groundlber

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

I'd stear clear of the Tiffie. The first flight of the prototype Typhoon 1A was May 26th, 1941. The 1B entered service in September of 1941with 56sqn and 609sqn at Duxford to counter the FW-190. That's an internet reference, so subject to being a bit off, but sounds about right. The date of the first flight is the same as in Janes ATWA '46/'47. I'm not sure they ever made it to North Africa - there were more pressing needs at home.

HMSDiomede
E5

Post by HMSDiomede »

Pretty much what Mark1 said. One minor nitpick, though. In RAF parlance, Tomahawk was the name given to the P-40B and C models. Kittyhawk would be correct for the P-40E and later versions. I'm not aware of the Typhoon serving in North Africa, either.

David

HMSDiomede
E5

Post by HMSDiomede »

Thought of one important omission from the list. Blenheims were also used throughout much of the North African campaign.

David

groundlber
E5

Post by groundlber »

Everyone - Thanks for calling me on Typhoons in North Africa. Mea culpa, I scanned the checklist instead of reading the manual. I took a better look at the material and there's no mention of Typhoons on the Squadron lists. Learn from my mistake, don't rely on one source, and if something seems unusual, check it before opening your mouth or putting it in print.
Groundlber