The thinking man's wishlist

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

LAX_Kev

Thinking Man's Wishlist

Post by LAX_Kev »

As a 1/2400 scale ship fan, I can't help wondering why the Russian WW1 and WW2 ships were on this year's list of new releases. Sorry, not interested. What I would go after would be the complete set of US Navy Battleships - start with the original TEXAS and MAINE, and work up to the WW2 ships that GHQ already has for sale. Throw in a LANGLEY (CV-1) while you're at it. And for the moderns, toss in a DDG-51 Flight II. There's lots more on the wish list, but this should get our friends at GHQ going for a year or two!

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

...and the Challenger ARRV, Warrior MRRV/MCRV, Foden IMMLC and M-3 Amphibious Ferry/Bridge as well :roll: .
Just want to back up my wishes with few pics of the originals (plus another nice one, the Chieftain AVRE Mk.2).

Challenger ARRV (note the vice attached to the Dozerblade)

Foden IMMLC DROPS

Chieftain AVRE Mk.2

Hopefully you will enjoy the pics (made them at an Open Day of the BFG).

Cheers Ben

Thomaso827
E5

Post by Thomaso827 »

With the US Air Cavalry unit, there is a need for an enemy force - something for these guys to jump into hot LZs to deal with. Maybe an Ia Drang NVA/VC force. Not much else but infantry, perhaps some of the GHQ Vietnam buildings.
Tom Oxley, OD Green Old Fart

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...Man,I just unpacked some UK WWII Infantry. The TO&E for the pack really needs a MAJOR makeover. I have no less than 16 officers (probably all majors!! :lol: ) if thats not bad enough their pose makes them look like they are directing troops at the battle of Waterloo.... I don't know, but I think another 6 bren guns(there aren't any :x ) and 6 more riflemen would make my world turn a little smoother....
John

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

I feel your pain jb. I think there's a general consensus in this thread that the infantry line, overall needs expanding and revamping, from the number of poses, to the packaging, to the heavy weapons.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

8ball wrote:I feel your pain jb. I think there's a general consensus in this thread that the infantry line, overall needs expanding and revamping, from the number of poses, to the packaging, to the heavy weapons.
...also to note,how about some 6 gun batteries,yes 6 gun batteries,6 gun batteries,say it with me...
John

mlcolbert

Post by mlcolbert »

what about each year to do something out of left field??

I'm thinking at the moment of that concept for an iceberg airfield the brits had dreams of around '44. I know it was never built, but there are other possibilities stemming from this, like the V weapons, some of the bombers designed and built in limited numbers by Heinkel etc. More for what if scenarios, but just as enjoyable.

m

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

jb wrote: ...also to note,how about some 6 gun batteries,yes 6 gun batteries,6 gun batteries,say it with me...
A similar item, can GHQ sell the Semovente 75's without a Carro Commando in each kit? There were only about 1 or two per company, and trying to build a 1:1 force is difficult when you only get 4 Semoventes for every pack you buy.

Anyone want some Carro Commandos?
I wish I had something witty to say...

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

As long as we're on this topic, there's something that has bugged me about how some of this stuff is packaged. For example, The German WWII Combat Commands always give 16 tanks. I don't know a single German KSTN that called for 16 tanks.

Heavy Company = 14 Tiger tanks (For the Heer and the Waffen SS)
Medium Company = 17 - 22 Panther, PzKfpw-IV, or PzKfpw-III tanks

The whole point of these packages is to give you everything you need to do a 1:1 unit, yet the medium companies leave you one tank short. Same with the Hummels and Wespes. These batteries had six Hummels or six Wespes. Five come to a package.
Also, any chance we can get the FlaK 88's towed and deployed all in the same package? Instead of two limbered up or five deployed.

I'd like to see more emphasis on actual utilization in the packaging of the world's finest miniatures. I don't mean to sound negative, just wondering why.

Chris

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

I think the arty packs are a little skewed. Maybe instead of packaging the guns 2 deployed/2 towed/2 trucks, they could be bought seperately in each different "state of being?" (I like that phrase for some reason.)

I know some guys that don't even bother with the libered guns, they just say "this truck is towing an 90mm AA gun," and then put the deployed one on the board when the time comes. Also, I'm probably not going to have a seperate truck designated for every gun that I own because I probably won't be fielding every gun during every time I game. I think that after a while, one will develop a "critical mass" of transport trucks.

As for the numbers of units in each package, I think that isn't as big of a priority. TOEs for different years and different nationalities allow for so much variation in the numbers of units in a platoon/battery. To sort out each different model and the number of each in a platoon would just be a big headache for GHQ and there will be ineveitable debates as to how many tanks should be in each pack.

A nice round number of 5-6 in each pack works well for me, it is just the way the packs are bundled with different units that rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure you can find someone that games with you willing to buy a few extra tanks from you, but I don't think many people are willing to swap extra limbered guns/trucks/Carro Comandos.
I wish I had something witty to say...

modwar64

Post by modwar64 »

Here is a thought.

Is it possible for GHQ to sell all figures individually?

This would eliminate the problem of getting too many of the figures you don't need and not enough of the ones you do need.

For example if you want to field a WW II Soviet T34/85 battalion of 31 vehicles you just buy 31 vehicles. Not seven packs for a total of 35 vehicles. Buy six individual Hummels instead of two five packs. Etc...

Just some food for thought.

Tony

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...I've got 12 unemployed British officers that seem to be eating bisquits or trumpets :?: while directing a line formation of troops. The first SP artillery or for that matter any artillery for them, gets them...
John

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

modwar64,
Is it possible for GHQ to sell all figures individually?
I'm sure when they're ready, GHQ will "weigh in" on this... But my guess is the problem is in the packaging. I would guess that the packaging costs would remain pretty much the same, whether the blister pack contained five units or a single unit. If I recall correctly, most of the Micro Armor comes in one of three different packs -- the "single large blister", such as those used for aircraft, with foam padding to hold the castings in place -- the "six blister pack", used for most armor, with five units being in individual sections and turrets, etc., being in the sixth section -- and the "Combat Command" packs. If GHQ were to make the individual units available on a "carte blanche" system, then their labor costs would rise, since each order would have to be individually picked, wrapped, etc. And you know who that labor cost would be passed on to...

I would imagine that at some point, the current packaging system was chosen for a multitude of factors, including making the units somewhat "uniformly packaged" for retail distrubition. Could this be done differently? Certainly. Would it cost more? Even more certainly.

At this time, one can order individual castings / sprues directly from GHQ. If I recall correctly, that cost is $1.25 each. So (for example, and in theory...) if one wanted six Panthers, one could order six chassis and six turrets -- at a cost of $15.00 (cost per unit = $2.50). Now, two packs would cost $18.90 (two x $8.95; at that price, cost per unit = $1.79), but then one would have four "extra" units... Or one could buy a single pack @ $8.95, then purchase that "sixth" Panther for $2.50; compared to the first example of $15.00, the cost woud drop to $11.45 -- a savings of $3.55 (cost per unit = $1.91).

Of course, if "everyone" started ordering individual units, the folks at GHQ would spend more time (and labor) packaging those orders, less time keeping current models in stock and making new models, and since less product was being produced for the same amount of labor, the costs would rise...

I will be the first to admit I coud well be wrong about this... and I will not take offense if that proves to be the case. But if I am correct... we must be careful not to be "penny wise and pound foolish" in these matters.

My two cents worth... and as we all know, two cents ain't what it used to be!!

Regards,
Tom Stockton
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

JB,
...I've got 12 unemployed British officers that seem to be eating bisquits or trumpets :?: while directing a line formation of troops. The first SP artillery or for that matter any artillery for them, gets them...
Had to think about it for a while... but I think it's crumpets you're looking for!

Of course, now we open ourselves up for replies from our British friends, chuckling about us "silly Yanks" and our "command" of the English language... oh, well! :wink:

Regards,
Tom
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"

jb
E5

Post by jb »

tstockton wrote:JB,
Had to think about it for a while... but I think it's crumpets you're looking for!

Of course, now we open ourselves up for replies from our British friends, chuckling about us "silly Yanks" and our "command" of the English language... oh, well! :wink:

Regards,
Tom
...Gottcha.Tom :lol: , I also mentioned in an earlier thread that I was a wargaming AVACADO,nobody said a thing. Sorry guys this is how I get rid of some stress at the end of the day...
John