GHQ WWII Micro Armour rules 50% off!!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

GHQ
Site Admin

GHQ WWII Micro Armour rules 50% off!!

Post by GHQ »

On another thread there are many references that praise quick play rules. We also agree that this is a very important element in an enjoyable gaming experience. Most people no longer want to take 2 weeks to decide the outcome of a game. When we developed our rules, quick play and the ability to set up and play a game to completion in an evening was one of our top priorities. So, with our Micro Armour: The Game- WWII rules most games take 2-3 hours. One of our other priorities was to have the rules be historically accurate with regards to equipment and outcomes.

After following one of the threads on our forum, we realized that it's possible that many of our forum users and hardcore customers may have never read, or played our rules. We want to do what we can to remedy this. So, for a limited time we are selling our rules at 50% off on orders that are placed through our website! If you haven't tried our rules yet, now is your chance. Act now because this is a limited time offer.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/mg1.html

Von Omar

Post by Von Omar »

Is there any way of reducing the scale to something closer to 1:1? I much prefer individual tanks and at least teams/squads of infantry. Makes the scale to the terrain make more sense to me. Just my preferance.
The last time I played a test game of GHQ's rules was a couple years ago in Seattle (got the T-Shirt and everything :) ) but that game seemed mostly armored based. How in depth is the infantry aspect of the rules? By that I mean, is it possible to have mostly infantry vs. infantry with minor support and still have a fun, fast game?
Any insight from other players would be greatly appreciated. I'm very interested in this ruleset, especially at 50% off :D

jb
E5

...alas

Post by jb »

...alas. I don't play 1 to 5 games anymore,but if I did I would play one that I developed about 7 years ago. It didn't use charts,but hey, I still had short,and extended range on the weapons...
But I can't "bash" a ruleset unless I read it now. Can I?
I believe it is along the same lines ( free rules) as what is in the combat commands,isn't it?
John

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

Yeah, I think one way that GHQ can gain more market share is to release a 1:1 rules set.
I wish I had something witty to say...

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...yup. Went and ordered GHQ's game. Being a 1 to 1 avacado I'm sure my armies have sufficeint enough troops to play a 1 to 5 game...besides 15 bucks why not?
John

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

I like both scales. I also like the GHQ rules, though they have some rather odd idiocyncrosies, like support tanks have no anti-armor rating, and there are some data issues (Sherman and Chaffee have the same armor rating, as do the M-10 and M-18 ). But I like the system a lot, and it's easy enough to revise these things.

At $14.95 it's a good deal.

Whistle Beek

Post by Whistle Beek »

Howdy, 8ball

My reading of the rules allows you to modify numbers if you want to, so have a day, there.

I think you have mis-read some of the other rules, however. Regarding "Support tanks have no anti-armor rating..." On Page 15 of the rulebook it states: "These were "Infantry Support Artillery Vehicles. They behave in all ways like other artillery with two exceptions (The exceptions follow).

The key words here are "BEHAVE IN ALL WAYS LIKE OTHER ARTILLERY".

Additionally, on the Combat Table Cards at the end of the rulebook and the sections on Direct and Indirect Artillery Procedures: in both procedures it says, "Reduce defense of 'Armored' targets (or armored defense strength) by 50%"

Example: A Sdkfz.251/9 Helftrack fires at an M4 Sherman tank. A look at the German weapons data shows the AP firepower of this weapon as one (1). The defense of the M4 is 7. Reduce this to 4 as per the Artillery Fire procedure.

The 75mm L24 Infantry gun fires at a -3. The possible results, according to the Combat Results Table, are as follows:

1. S = 100% Suppression is the MINIMUM effect of any successful artillery fire (again, see page 15 for exceptions).
2. (S) = 8.5% The M4's effectiveness is reduced by an average of 13% this turn. If it's already Suppressed, it is now Disrupted and Suppressed and its effectiveness is reduced by an average of 47%! If the M4 is already Suppressed and Disrupted, it is Eliminated!!!

That's how I read it - Hope this helps!

Von Omar

Post by Von Omar »

So assuming that the armor rules are good (which I do), I'm still curious if someone that has played the game can tell me about the operations of infantry. In other words, is it possible, and still fun, to have a primarily infantry based game, or maybe infantry vs. armor type encounter and still be "realistic" and worthwhile?

Whistle Beek

Post by Whistle Beek »

You'd have to be the judge of that. I enjoy them primarily for that reason. In GHQ's MATG, infantry isn't helpless. One of the things I like most about playing with new guys is when they charge a bunch of armored vehicles into a group of undamaged infantry around about 1944. The tanks can come out looking like shredded wheat!

You confuse the tankers by suppressive artillery fire and then finish them off with infantry "close assault". It doesn't work every time... but they have better than an even
chance.

In order for an infantry assault on enemy infantry to succeed, you can't just close in and hope for the best. You have to soften them up with artillery or mortars, then keep them "Suppressed" with MG fire while your guys move in to finish up. It's all in the coordination. Beyond that, use a smoke to conceal movement.

O.K. so the game isn't over in an hour and you have to practice this stuff for a while before it all goes off smoothly, but let me put it this way: if I'm out on the road, I'll stop for a quick burger and fries. It's fast and it does the job... But not every day! Don't get me wrong. Quick and easy is good. I'm not looking for an argument, but you asked for an opinion.

Von Omar

Post by Von Omar »

Thanks Whistle Beek. That was exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your response.

I need to expand my horizons as far as 1:1 ratios or lack of is concerned. Looks like I'll be getting some new rules soon.

Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

I'm grateful to GHQ for the opportunity they've provided. I've been wargaming with Micro armor and 15mm in the platoon scale since the 70's when "Wargamer's Digest" began presenting wargame scenarios in that scale and introduced their "Series-78" representational scale. I also enjoy 1:1 ratio games in more of a skirmish-oriented scenario.

Having for years gamed with Command Decision I eventually moved to playing Blitzkrieg Commander for its ease of use and interesting command and morale system. But when GHQ came out with another system in the same ratio scale, I was reluctant to get it since I had 2 successful systems (and BKC sould be used in a 1:1 ratio as well), additionally since the rules were about $30.

By reducing the price GHQ successfully overcame my biggest objection to trying out the rules, and I've ordered a set. I look forward to trying out a scenario with all three systems to make a valued comparison. Thanks GHQ!

Best regards,
Zeppelin

predator06
E5

Post by predator06 »

Sorry GHQ. But As far as I am Concerned, you havent ben able to produce or support a
Micro armour rules system thats Worth my money sence you told Mr Stokes to take a Hike. BRING BACK AND REVISE TC! then I will consider Buying one of your rules sets.
Enjoy the war,

Because the Peace Is going to be hell!

GHQ
Site Admin

Post by GHQ »

Anyone can hold whatever opinion that they want about GHQ, our products, or whatever. For some reason our industry is full of rumors, some may be based in truth, and others that we have heard are impossible to to figure out, and make no sense. Tank Charts was a product that we introduced 20-25 years ago, and it didn't sell well. We don't hold anyone responsible for this, and we never told anyone to take a hike. We have always had a good relationship with Brian Stokes. The truth of the matter is that we sold Tank Charts until we ran out of them. After looking at the sales versus the cost to have another print run, it wasn't worthwhile. About once a year we have someone who contacts us and asks us about Tank Charts. Obviously we thought that it was worth publishing, that's why we did it in the first place. Unfortunately the market told us that it wasn't worthwhile to print it again. Please trust us that we have no hidden agenda- we want to release products that will sell. If something that we offer sells well, we will not hold it off of the market just to make a point, or to attempt to steer the marketplace into a different direction.

We don't want to change the course of this thread, we just wanted to correct some bad information. We will not take up more of anyone's time on this topic.

Thank you,
GHQ

IRON FIST

Post by IRON FIST »

GHQ I know you have the customers interest at heart and I really wouldn't worry about the rumor mill, talk is cheap, you have the best products on the market, that's why I have been a GHQ customerfor over 25 years. Keep up the outstanding work.