Swapping Heads & Swapping Figures

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

black cavalier

Swapping Heads & Swapping Figures

Post by black cavalier »

Has anyone tried to swap heads on the newer GHQ infantry? It seems like just gluing the new heads on would't be strong enough & the figures would be too small for pinning.

Also, is it appropriate to post lists of items here that you're interested in buying from or trading with other members?

Thanks

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

I would be interested in a swap as well.
I wish I had something witty to say...

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

I've been swapping the top half of American and German riflemen onto the bottom half of the handgrenaders. It's not all that hard to do, and the resulting standing riflemen look much more natural.

VonTed

Post by VonTed »

Swapping heads on 1/285th?!?! :shock:

You guys must have steady hands.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

VonTed wrote:
You guys must have steady hands.
Hands? Yeah, I can probably manage the steady hands. What about eyes?!? :shock:

Sheesh, I can't even see if I have managed to get flesh-tone paint on the faces when I hit them with the brush. How can I expect to see if I put the head on forwards, backwards, or upside-down? :roll:
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

1ComOpsCtr
E5

head swap

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Gentlemen,

There are two ways that work well. One if for the figure that will not be handled a lot, the other for figures that will be handled, moved, packaged for trips to games, etc...

For the easy swap you can use a number 11 blade to remove both heads as close to the body as possible. You need to use a magnifier and do a good clean job on the cut. A small drop of super glue on the end of a tooth pick applied to the body and a very careful placement of the head will do a good job as long as the figure isn't going to be touched during gaming or shipping.

For the best job you need a very fine drill, a pin vice, and some very fine wire. The wire can be piano wire or a soft wire, doesn't really matter, but it must be the same size as the drill bit.

Using a #11 blade again to sever the head very carefully is even more important with this system because you need to drill both sides, the body and the head, so you need as flat a surface as possible. I use an untra-fine fine center punch for the two parts before I use the drill to keep from damaging the head (the more delicate of the two parts). You need to drill about a 1/16" into the body and a 1/32" into the head if there is room, otherwise make the hole as deep as possible without damaging the casting.

After drilling the holes place the wire into the body with a small dab of super glue on the insertion end. Clean the excess before cutting the wire to fit the hole drilled in the head. Always test fit everything before you glue. After you make the test fitting you can glue the head to the body in the attitude you want. Sometimes this allows you to reposition the head to make the figure look at an object on the stand, or make two figures look like they are talking to each other, etc... your call.

A high power magnifier is a must, as are sharp #11's or scalples, if that is what you use for your micro work.

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900