Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Ghines

Re: Micronaut Only Thread

Post by Ghines »

Evening all,

I am posting this because I am looking forward to collecting 1.2400 scale warships. I served in the USN 2000-2004 as did my father in Vietnam and my grandfather in WW2. I will not bore you all of that but my family has been in the USN since the ACW. this is my plan and I am so looking forward to it:

Collect: all of the classes Ships my father refueled while on board the USS Kawishiwi (AO-146). Just because!!

I am currently in the preliminary design stage of a diorama with the USS Kawishiwi refueling the USS Hancock ( angled deck) and a Cruiser. I may do the USS New Jersey ( Iowa Class) BB but the USS Kawishiwi never refueled her in the 1970 cruise.

I am also designing the Battle Groups for the USS Truman ( I served on her 2003 cruise)

here is interesting part:

I am also going to design a diorama of the Battle Group for the USS Roosevelt 2003 cruise. ( My brother-in-law was on board and on the horizon during my deployment) We did not know each other at the time.

my plan is to incase everything in epoxy,

thanks for taking the time to read. First time post. I will be making a Build thread to document all of this.

Thanks
G Hines

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Moving this up in anticipation of Don's return and adding an updated Consolidated Micronaut Wish List.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Donald M Scheef

Post by Donald M Scheef »

I have received my order of GHQ’s UKN-60, BB Duke of York. Here are my comments and opinions about this model.
Although described as “late war,” this model depicts DoY as it was in March, 1943. What I had been hoping for was her appearance after April, 1945.
The characteristic of UKN-60 that identifies this as the early 1943 appearance is the group of five 20mm guns immediately aft of the first breakwater. These guns were installed during the December, 1942 through March, 1943 refit. This location was determined to be undesirable (probably because of excess wetness) and these guns were relocated farther aft by July, 1943.
The most obvious differences between UKN-60 and the late-war appearance of DoY are the presence of the aircraft catapult and the location of ship’s boats on the after superstructure. During the September, 1944 through April, 1945 refit, the catapult was removed, this area covered by a new deck, and the ship’s boats moved from the after superstructure to this new deck. The new deck covered the entire width of the hull and the entire length from the back of the former hangers to the front of the aft superstructure. The eight single 20mm guns formerly in this area were moved to other locations.
Other differences (mostly to light and medium anti-aircraft armament):
• UKN-60 has six octuple 2-pdr mounts; two on each side of the first funnel, one atop 14-inch mount B, and one atop 14-inch mount Y. By April, 1945, two more had been added; one on each side of the superstructure just aft of the second funnel.
• UKN-60 has no quadruple 2-pdr mounts. By April, 1945, six had been added; one on the deck either side of B-mount, one on either side of the bridge, and two on the deck aft of Y-mount.
• UKN-60 has no quadruple 40mm Bofors mounts. By April, 1945, two had been added, one on each side of the aft superstructure.
• I think that UKN-60 has no twin 20mm mounts. The actual DoY had none in 1943 but eight had been added by April, 1945. These were located one on either side of the bridge, one on either side of forward funnel, and four atop the aft superstructure (in the area previously occupied by the ship’s boats.
UKN-60 is a good representation of a mid-1943 to late-1944 Duke of York (and also KGV, Anson, and Howe of this time). However, I would still like a late(r) KGV-class battleship. My preference would be Duke of York after April, 1945, as described above. My second choice would be Anson in 1945. Anson had only four quadruple 2-pdr mounts, but otherwise very similar to DoY. A third possibility is Howe as it appeared in 1946. Admittedly, this is post-war, but is the appearance that the KGVs would have had in the Pacific if the Japanese had held out another year.
I would also like to suggest two hypothetical models. For esthetic reasons and to reduce complexity of supply, I don’t like mixing 2-pdr and 40mm Bofors. Either replace the quad Bofors mounts with octuple 2-pdrs or replace all the 2-pdrs with corresponding 40mm Bofors (octuple 2-pdrs become quad Bofors, quad 2-pdrs become twin Bofors).
Don S.

Donald M Scheef

Comments on GHQ’s GBW44, Boadicea-class cruisers

GHQ has recently posted a photograph of their new model of Boadicea-class light cruisers. Although the casting looks good, I have an issue with the armament modeled. GWB44 has eight guns in four pairs, each port and starboard: one pair forward of the bridge, the second pair at the break off the forecastle, the third pair ahead of the small deckhouse aft, and the final pair after the small deckhouse.

In Conway’s All the World’s Fighting Ships 1906-1921 the armament is described as follows: “The [Boadicea-class] carried their guns p&s on a platform ahead of the bridge, two more at the break of the forecastle and two on the centerline aft. By 1916 four more 4in guns had been added in the waist ….”
Thus, GWB seems to have too many guns for the as-built appearance and too few for the 1916 appearance.

Also, not a problem but an observation: like other scout-types in the early days of radio, the Boadicea-class carried extremely tall masts to elevate the radio antennae. The mainmast, mounted on the aft deck house reached about 130 ft (39 m) above the waterline and the foremast about 110 ft (33 m) above the waterline. Pieces of thick wire would nicely model these.

Don S.

Donald M Scheef

Sorry, repeat post. This was sent in well after the previous post on this subject but auditors delayed approval.
Don S.
Last edited by Donald M Scheef on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald M Scheef

I have received my order of GHQ’s UKN-60, BB Duke of York.
Sorry, repeat post.
Don S.
Last edited by Donald M Scheef on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald M Scheef

Sorry, repeat post.

Don S.
Last edited by Donald M Scheef on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald M Scheef

This is just a bump for my PoW and Boadicea posts. Sorry about the repeat posts. The monitors delayed approval of the original postings for several weeks. I will try to edit the duplicate posts.

Don S.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Don, Really great write up of UKN60 BB Duke of York. In my ship collection, I used the GHQ model of Prince of Wales for Prince of Wales and the GHQ model of King George V for the remaining ships in the class. But was considering purchasing the UKN60 BB Duke of York to replace the other models, except for KGV of course. I like using the specific GHQ models for the right ship in the class, if the models are available. From your write up, I'm considering the extra ship model purchases soon. I will at least get model of UKN60 for a representative of Duke of York BB, but still not sure if I should get two additional models for Anson and Howe or not.

Thank you again for the detailed write up on UKN60.

Donald M Scheef

I have just seen GHQ’s posting of the most recent releases, including USN99, Type 535. This models the appearance that I most wanted – that of an attack transport. This has significant anti-aircraft armament and a large deck load of landing craft.

The down-side is that some of the Type 535 ships were never converted to attack transports and (especially those remaining as commercial transports) differ greatly from USN99 in appearance. Note that even within the APAs there are minor differences between individual ships, especially in the number and arrangement of the light anti-aircraft armament. For1/2400 scale, these are not significant.

Listing the ships in order of their suitability of being represented by USN99:

• APA-12, USS Leonard Wood (ex-AP-25, ex-USAT Leonard Wood, ex-SS Western World, ex-SS Nutmeg State). Only significant difference is that APA-12 had only three goalpost masts. Leave off the one nearest the stern.

• APA-13, USS Joseph T. Dickman (ex-AP-26, ex-USAT Joseph T. Dickman, ex-SS President Roosevelt, ex-SS President Pierce, ex-SS Peninsula State). Only significant difference is that APA-13 had only three goalpost masts. Leave off the one nearest the stern.

• APA-14, USS Hunter Liggett (ex-AP-47, ex-USAT Hunter Liggett, ex-SS Pan American, ex- SS Palmetto State).

• APA-15, USS Henry T. Allen (ex-AP-30, ex- USAT Henry T. Allen, ex-SS President Jefferson, ex-Wenatchee).

• APA-16, USS J. Franklin Bell (ex-AP-34, ex-USAT J. Franklin Bell, ex-SS President McKinley, ex- SS Keystone State)

• APA-17, USS American Legion (ex-AP-35, ex-USAT American Legion, ex-SS American Legion)

• APA-2, USS Harris (ex-AP-8, ex-SS President Grant, ex-Pine Tree State). This differed from the previous ships because it had a gap between the bridge and the rest of the upper superstructure. This would be very difficult to replicate on USN99, but the difference is not that great to me.

• APA-3, USS Zeilin (ex-AP-9, ex- SS President Jackson, ex- SS Silver State). Like APA-2, this differed from the previous ships because it had a gap between the bridge and the rest of the upper superstructure. This would be very difficult to replicate on USN99, but the difference is not that great to me.

• AP-42, USS Tasker Bliss (ex-SS President Cleveland, ex-SS Golden State). The AP (Auxiliary, Personnel) ships typically carried less armament and fewer landing craft than the APAs. USN99 is still a reasonable model for this ship.

• AP-43, USS Hugh L. Scott (ex-SS President Pierce, ex-SS Hawkeye State). USN99 is a reasonable model for this ship.

• AP-7, USS Wharton (ex-SS Southern Cross, ex-SS Sea Girt). Photos of this ship indicate that it did receive some armament but never carried significant numbers of landing craft, unlike the APAs and most of the other APs. USN99 is not a good model for this ship.

• USAT (United States Army Transport) Willard A. Holbrook (ex-SS President Taft, ex-SS Buckeye State). This was intended to be transferred to the Navy as AP-44, but this was never performed. Photos of this ship indicate that it did receive some armament but never carried significant numbers of landing craft. USN99 is not a good model for this ship.

• [sold to Philippines pre-war] SS President Quezon, ex- SS President Madison, ex- SS Bay State. USN99 is not a good model for this ship.

• [sold to Belgium pre-war] SS Ville de Bruges, ex-SS President Harding, ex-SS President Taft, ex-SS Lone Star State. USN99 is not a good model for this ship.

• [sold to Spain pre-war] SS Maria Pipa, ex-SS President Wilson, ex-SS Empire State. USN99 is not a good model for this ship.

• [sold to Spain pre-war] SS Maria del Carmen, ex-SS President Lincoln, ex-SS Hoosier State. USN99 is not a good model for this ship.

Don S.

Donald M Scheef

Sorry, duplicate posting. After the original didn't appear for several days, I re-posted.

Don S.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Great write up Don on the merchants. Sounds like this model can be use for up to a dozen or so ships. Thanks! Good stuff.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

ww2navyguy wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:49 pm
Great write up Don on the merchants. Sounds like this model can be use for up to a dozen or so ships. Thanks! Good stuff.
Including some of the early APs for the Invasion of Guadalc*nal.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.