Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

From what I can find so far it sounds like HMS Illustrious may have been in measure 507B medium grey with the flight deck in measure 507A dark grey, and then shortly after the raid received a two tone grey scheme on her vertical surfaces. I already have HMS Victorious painted in a similar scheme, so I may end up swapping labels and renaming this current ship Victorious as I have some good images of Victorious as she appeared in May 1941 during the hunt for the Bismarck - a very complex scheme that will try my painting skills to their utmost.

Found three schemes for HMS Furious but the only one I have sufficient detail to paint is for 1943 and I will be gaming 1939 - 1942 for the most part. If anyone has full schematics for the 1939 or 1941 or other schemes I would be most appreciative.

HMS Duke of York was wearing a rather plane measure 507A on her hull and 507C on her upperworks during the Battle of North Cape, not exciting but I guess I'll paint her this way since this is the battle she is known for.

Any info on paint schemes for HMS Royal Sovereign and HMS Malaya during the first half of the war would be greatly appreciated as I can't find much of anything on these two ships.

Chris

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Chris,
The information I have on Illustrious seems to agree with yours. I have a two toe pattern that is listed as "late 1940 until 1942" but no further detail on exactly when that is. Sounds like you have it already but I could scan it tomorrow if desired.

For Furious the only pattern I can come up with is the '43 pattern.

For Duke of York I've got nothing.

For Malaya I've got the following. "She entered the war in peacetime light grey (507c). In November 1939 she transferred to the Indian Ocean probably still in 507c. By Feb 1940 she was in the N. Atlantic and photographic eveidence indicates she was in overall medium grey (507b). She returned to the Med in May 1940 and between May and August it is unknown what pattern or color she was wearing. In August she adopted an "Alexandria" style two tone grey pattern. Port and starboard side patterns were the same. Malaya left the Med in late 1940, almost certainly still in camouflage. She was torpedoed in Mar '41 and upon completion of her refit in the US she was painted in overall medium grey and stayed this way into 1942. Note while in camoflage her wood decks were painted dark grey." "At the end of 1942 Malaya received an Admiralty Disruptive pattern which she carried for the rest of the war. I have a drawing of the Alexandria pattern and the 1942 pattern I can scan if desired.

For Royal Sovreign I have a picture of her in her "1942 unofficial black and light grey pattern first applied in mid 1940. The 1940 pattern was a little different and included medium grey in the design." I can scan the picture for you if desired. I also have a picture of the 1943 three tone pattern which includes a medium grey. The lines and angles etc. are very different between the two so I can't tell you if either of these relate to the 1940 three tone pattern.

Let me know what I can provide for you.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Paul,

If you can scan those camo schemes that would be great. I really need to get my hands on some more reference books but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Chris,

Sorry its taken so long.

― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

Chris,
Thought I'd bring this topic up to the top just in case my question got missed due to all the hullibaloo over civilians. (I'd personally like to see more non-combatant ships - do those count as civilians?)
All I know is I once read a quote from a submariner...

"There are only two types of ships: submarines and targets."

:lol:

Regards,
Tom Stockton
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

av8rmongo,

Thank you for posting those scans, they will help me tremendously with getting these ships painted. When they are finished, I'll post the pix of them.

Chris

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

"There are only two types of ships: submarines and targets."
That's funny, I thought those were the same thing.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

Thomaso827
E5

Post by Thomaso827 »

I bought most of the "modern" ships GHQ makes over the past years for Harpoon (both 3 and 4), and was wondering if anyone is going to add anything new, perhaps new versions of the Spruance and Ticonderoga with VLS or the new Seawolf class subs. My son was on the last of the Permit class boats, the L. Mendel Rivers up until it was retired a few years ago, and he was surprised that none of that class made it to the miniatures. I'd really prefer having the minis instead of the cardboard counters...
Tom Oxley, OD Green Old Fart

SeaHarrier2006

Post by SeaHarrier2006 »

Hi Thomaso827,

I have just received a GHQ Bunker Hill, Arleigh Burke and Spruance which all have the VLS system on them. I am mid way through painting them, and pictures which I will post on the Show Us Yer Stuff Thread in the near future.

And a quick hey to Chris, I am looking forward to seeing you latest work an your WW2 fleet.

Hope this helps,

Mark (SeaHarrier2006)
England expects every man will do his duty.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalger October 21st 1805.

Thomaso827
E5

Post by Thomaso827 »

Maybe I need to go back and buy some more. I thought for sure my older models had the above-deck launchers, but then, the Arleigh Burk was just an artist's conception when I started buying these things for Harpoon 3. Still, I hope they will extend the range a bit to cover the new generations of ships for the litoral war. Thanks.
Tom Oxley, OD Green Old Fart

pmaidhof
E5

Post by pmaidhof »

It was mentioned that the micronaught thread was lost, here it is, just further down the list...

For those of you who base your ships, cbovill and seaharrier2002 of the top of my head, what is the material - styrene I suppose - its thickness, and what material do you use to create the sea/wave effects?

Thanks for sharing all of your great work.
S/F
Pete

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I'm glad you asked about the basing. I'm due for an improvement in that area. Also, what are you guys using for the labels on the ships base? They look great!

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

I feel like such a an idiot - I never noticed that on the main page of the forum there are pages to turn to older topics! I've only ever thought that the page of threads that comes up was the only page. Doh!

Anyhow, the materials I use to make ship bases are as follows:
1. Evergreen Scale Models Sheet Styrene (Item # 9040 Plain White .040" thick (1 mm). Sells for $2.25 for two 6" x 12" sheets (cheap).
2. Woodland Scenics Flex Paste (not cheap).
3. Sea colored paint (I use Tamaya XF-17 Sea Blue, which actually comes out looking more like the deep green of the Atlantic).
4. White paint for waves.
5. High gloss finish (any spray will do).

I use set sizes for each type of ship as follows:
12.00 x 3.00 cm for CV's, BB's, BC's
9.50 x 2.50 cm for CA's
9.00 x 2.25 cm for CL's and tankers
7.00 x 2.25 cm for merchant ships
6.00 x 1.75 cm for DD's
5.00 x 1.75 cm for DE's and FF's
4.00 x 1.50 cm for SS'

Building the bases:
1. I mark and score the sheet styrene. To cut it perfectly every time I bought a floor tile cutter at Home Depot, its like a paper cutter on steroids and it does an excellent job.
2. Next, position the incomplete ship on the base where you will want it to permanently reside and trace around its outline onto the base.
3. Then I spread a thin layer of Flex Paste on the bases taking care not to put any where the ship will go. While it is still wet, I use the GHQ described tactic of pressing my finger tips into the paste to create the waves. I also add additional details like bow and stern wakes with a brush. Once the surface is hard to the touch but not completely dry, I roll a section of the base flat where the label will go.
4. Now affix it to a nail, and paint with your ocean color.
5. Once this has dried, I dry brush white onto the wave tops and the ship's wake.
6. Finally, I take it outside and spray on the high gloss finish to make it look like water.

I'm in the habit of building my bases first, and then the ships. Otherwise I noticed I wont build the bases at all as I am usually rather impatient to get right to the ships. But since I've incorporated building the bases into the ship building process I have no more ships without.

For the labels I create them in MS Word using the table feature as this seems to keep the flag icons in place better than Excel does. I print them out onto photo paper that has an adhesive backing on it. Cut out the labels, peel off the backing and they stick right onto the base.

Hope this helps!
Chris

SeaHarrier2006

Post by SeaHarrier2006 »

Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to congatulate Chris on some excellent camo on those WW2 ships, I thing the paint job on the Victorious and the Furious are the best camo jobs I have seen in the short time Ihave been on this forum. Top work mate, looking forward to more of them in the future.

Now on to my basing.

The following materials are what I use for basing my ships:

Plastruct 1.0mm White Styrene Sheet (91104), although you can use a thicker sheet if needed.
Plastruct Agitated Water (91802)
Plastruct Calm Water (91801)
Plastruct Choppy Water (91803)
These come already coloured blue, and to make them look darker I paint one side either a dark blue, or a very dark grey. then mount the ship on the unpainted side.
I have white Humbrol paint which I use sparingly, to do the white water and some wave tops.

Making the Base.

When making bases for Cruisers, Destroyers, and Frigates I have a base width of 55mm, and depending on the length of the ship, the length of the base can be anywhere from 70mm for a Royal navy Amazon Class Frigate, to 115mm for the U.S.S. Long Beach. Usually I have about 1 to1.5 cm’s at the back, and the front of the ship to make it look right. For bigger ships such as Carriers, I then put a light score mark on the white card of 15mm, this is to leave space for the name tag at the end.. I then paint the white Plastruct 1.0mm Styrene Sheet, the same colour as the paint I have painted on the blue water, wait for a few minutes for the paint to dry a little, then place the water piece on the white card and leave it to dry for a while.

Then the easy part. When the paint has dried, I superglue the ship to the base, and make a name tag which I make in Microsoft Word, by inserting a Text Box on the page making sure it is the same size as the space to on the base. I.e. if the base is 85mm long by 55mm wide, the name tag would be 85mm long by 15mm wide. Type in the name and any other info I want to show about the ship, then print the name tags with a good quality Photographic paper, and superglue it on the 85mm X 15mm blank space.

Once the ship and the name tag has been attached, it only remains for me to paint the bow wave, and wake at the stern, with a few other breaking waves around as and where it takes my fancy.

There you are, job done. Hope this helps give ideas to all who want to base their precious and valuable fleet from the rigours of war.

Mark (SeaHarrier2006)
England expects every man will do his duty.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalger October 21st 1805.

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. I checked out that Plastruct sheet water - that's pretty cool stuff! I've never seen that before. I thought you were using some of that poor it over water from model railroading. I had actually tried using that stuff and couldn't make it work in this scale. But that sheet styrene water is pretty wild.

Chris