Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmaidhof
E5

Post by pmaidhof »

Spruance
S/F
Pete

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Nice job Pete! I generally don't base my ships, moving every 2-3 years space becomes a premium commodity. That being said after seeing yours and others on this site I went out and purchased some Flex Paste to see what I can do. I'm not sold on the plastic sheet I used for the PHMs so its time to test the alternatives.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Paul,

The same metal base company I use for the 1/285 - 1/300 miniatures makes bases that work really well with 1/2400 ships. The ships below are mounted on metal...

I use slightly longer length bases for some of the smaller ships but that makes packing all of them together easier with mostly the same size bases. I use a magnetic base in a tool box with several drawers to transport the modern ships. The tool box is a composit, which keeps the noise down when in transit, but the contents made for an interesting conversation at Andrews last trip.

Will
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

pmaidhof
E5

Post by pmaidhof »

Banged out a few more this weekend. These are from another manufacturer, but are items not made by GHQ, so I had to do it. :)

Austin Class LPD

Kashin DDG

And here is the GHQ Sovremennyy with the Kashin.
S/F
Pete

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Will,

i've struggled with the "To base, or not to base question" for some time now. Still serving on active duty I have to move every two to three years - my family thinks its to avoid Process Service but that's another story. Right now I pack my ships and micro armor in Panzer Keeper/Bunker Box type plastic boxes. I like them from the standpoint of the protection they afford the minis - cost is obviously another issue. (I don't base my micro armor either.)

The other advantage, in my opinion is I can safely pack my 10 Spruance class DDs in a Bunker Box and never worry about them - I cut the foam to fit the hulls. If I were to base my ships that would mean at least a three fold expansion in the number of boxes or volume of the boxes used to store my ships and I just don't have that kind of room. With approximately 600 ships between my WWII and Moderns it just isn't practical at this time.

I've recently brachched out into 1/1200 Napoleonics and those ships I do indend on basing, mostly to increase the protection of the rigging - but that's another story. Looking at what everyone has doone gives me plenty of inspiration for my sailing fleet. Maybe one day with the experience I gain on that endevour I'll go back and base all my 1/2400 ships as well.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

cbovill
E5

British H Class Destroyers

Post by cbovill »

Does anyone have some images or line drawings of British H Class destroyers serving in the Atlantic in the first half of WWII? I've got a dozen I'm going to be painting up and have decided I'd like to try my hand at camoflaging small ships like destroyers. I've got plenty of good info on how to camo Tribal class destroyers but nothing on the G/H/I class. Not sure if there were significant differences between classes or if these destroyers were even camoflaged at all. All the pictures I find on the web and in books show them in standard 507A or 507C all over.

Chris

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Chris,

If you give me a couple of days I'll check my Alan Raven books for anything that might be useful.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Chris,

Good news! I do have some drawings of G/H class destroyers in the '39-'41timeframe. Two of the patterns I have are not Atlantic patterns. Of the others one is from a ship lost at Dunkirk, the others aren't really clear at first read through where they come from. Here's a list of the hulls I have found patterns for so far.

Grenville - '39 until lost '40
Grenade - May '40 when lost at Dunkirk
Griffin - Late '39
Garland - Spring of '40
Hotspur - at Matapan
Havock - '41 Alexandria
Hasty - '41
Hero - '41
Hesperus - '41

The book also states that Gypsy and Glowworm were not wearing camouflage at the time of their loss in '40. The book I'm referencing is Alan Raven's Warship Perspectives Camouflage Volume One:Royal Navy 1930-194. I highly recommend the whole series.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Well that settles it, I just have to get that series of books. I tried after Christmas when I received a gift card to HobbyTown but they couldn't order the books through their network of suppliers. I think after we get our tax refund, I'm going to try and order them off the web.

Paul,

Those are exactly what I am looking for. Do you have any place you can post the images to?

Thanks,
Chris

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Chris,

Yes, I'll be able to send you some pictures. Maybe Tuesday but probably not until Wednesday.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

dragon6
E5

Post by dragon6 »

av8rmongo wrote:
For some more micronaut fun here are some USCG Cutters I recently painted - still looking for deck markings though.
This shows Dallas' helo deck, can't see any other deck markings
http://members.tripod.com/dangrusdav/dallas.jpg

This wiki picture shows different helo deck markings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WHEC-378.jpg

Another wiki picture, this one an older one because she still carries a 5"/38
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... EC-723.jpg
Ray

jb
E5

Re: Micronaut only thread

Post by jb »

E.springer wrote:... I note GHQ's catalog list the Mogami modeling the 15-6.1" armament. Can someone tell me if the 10-8" armament is included in the packaging?

Thank you for the help and suggestions you can offer.
...I was just looking at the Mogami that I have. It never occured to me about the 6.1" guns until you just mentioned it.
I do know that I have the 8" turrets and a set of 6.1" turrets for said ship. I also must note that I purchased the ship back in 1987 or so. But my GHQ Mogami has both.

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

Mine came with both sets of turrets too. That was some time this century (I think), so you should be ok for the 8" turrets.

Mike

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

For Vampire, CinC makes a V-class "Vectis" in their WWI line. I have not checked my references to see if there were any significant modifications from 1917 to WWII appearance. The model is typical of CinC (clean molding that clearly represents the ship, but bare-looking compared to GHQ models).

To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a model of the Admiralty S class. The closest I can find that is being produced is an Improved M & R class by CinC. The ship is the same length as the S class but has three funnels rather than two and lacks the single 18" TT of the S. I think that the 18" had been removed from the S-class ships by WWII; if this is so, the number of funnels is the only significant problem. Unfortunately, just removing one funnel will not produce a good representationof an S-class because the spacing will be all wrong relative to the middle 4" gun mount.

GHQ's GWB9 - M-class - is even further from the S class. The size is about the same, but has three funnels, aft 4" gun mounting is significantly different from S-class, etc.

Hope this helps. I normally wouldn't give a competitor's name, but since GHQ doesn't make anything to fit the bill ...