Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

regia-marina
E5

Re: Micronaut Only Thread

Post by regia-marina »

BurtWolf wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Are used Micronauts easy to rehab? That is if I came across them already painted and wanted to strip them, would it be too harsh to use my typical method of a toothbrush after a soak with simple green? Some parts look very fragile and I’m wondering whether I should avoid used pieces as a general rule of thumb? Thanks.
This is exactly how I strip my ships. I have never had a problem. I am just very careful with gun barrels and other fragile parts. I have rehabbed a lot of Micronauts.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Submariner wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:49 pm
Guys, I've been out of painting my ships for a while, long enough for my Poly Scale paints have turned to stone. Can I get some advice on who's paints you guys are using? Brush and Air-Brush. Any advice would be appreciated.! -Submariner
Welcome back to the hobby! I use Vallejo and Lifecolor acrylic paints. Lifecolor has nice boxed sets for the various WW2 navies, armies, and air forces. I have used their paints for my Italian and German ships. I also use Lifecolor for my Italian army and air force minis.

Patton_of_the_Sea

Rules Question

Post by Patton_of_the_Sea »

Many of the stat blocks for float planes have a number on paranthese. I can't find what this means. My guess is that is the stats for single recon planes, but I'm not sure. If they are not what do they mean, and where are the stats for single recon planes. Thanks

Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I never really thought I would be drawn to Micronauts, and yet...

Working on the Tegetthoff Class Dreadnaughts of Austria-Hungary's KuK Kriegsmarine and the Königsberg Class Lights Cruisers of the Kaiserliche Marine. I have a few other irons in the fire from this period, but these are the most presentable in the heat of the moment. More to come, for sure.
Sincerely,
Mr. Hayden

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Those are nice looking ships Mr. Hayden! I really like the Tegetthoffs. I've toyed with the idea of starting an Austro-Hungarian Navy but when I look at the backlog in my shipyard I have to put it on hold. It would be great to see more of your WW1 ships.

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

I was taking a look through the three Micronaut threads in this forum, and just noticed that Donald Scheef has not posted anything in them for over a year. Donald, are you still around? I know that there hasn't been much to comment on for that time, and that may be why you haven't posted. I hope you're okay! I've received a lot of useful information over the years. Although I'm not very active with my ships (other than buying new ones when my supplier can get them), I'd hate to lose you as a resource if I ever get back to them.

On another subject, I was taking a look at the carrier deck decals. Boy, it's fascinating what's available. According to my last updated list, I've got 114 CVs, CVLs, and CVEs all painted up, but none with deck patterns. It'd take U$400 or so to get decals for all of them, but it would be interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll ever be up to getting back into ships again. At this point in my life, I've started thinking about what should be done with my things when I'm gone. My ships, space ships, Dc & D figures, dinosaur and prehistoric figures, etc. Even my GHQ WWII airplanes and Napoleonic ships (these were never painted, unfortunately).

Incidentally, if a word makes no sense, check to see if a vowel is missing. I seem to have special trouble "processing" the vowels because my fingers are so stiff.

Well, it's time to hang up so you can quit wasting your tie reading these maunderings. Take Care, everybody.

Hayden

Post by Hayden »

regia-marina wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:57 pm
Those are nice looking ships Mr. Hayden! I really like the Tegetthoffs. I've toyed with the idea of starting an Austro-Hungarian Navy but when I look at the backlog in my shipyard I have to put it on hold. It would be great to see more of your WW1 ships.
Thank you! At the moment most of the ships are just premiered, but as I finish them I fully intend to post them up. Eventually I hope to base them, but I'm still deciding how I want to do that. I'm chiefly focusing on the Austro-Hungarians, but I have a few odds and ends from the other major combatants floating around.
Mikee wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:18 am
On another subject, I was taking a look at the carrier deck decals. Boy, it's fascinating what's available. According to my last updated list, I've got 114 CVs, CVLs, and CVEs all painted up, but none with deck patterns. It'd take U$400 or so to get decals for all of them, but it would be interesting.
I'm enamored with the array of flight deck decals as well and that siren song threatens to call me into the 1940s. I've resisted so far.
Sincerely,
Mr. Hayden

ACWBill
E5

Denmark Straights Denizens

Post by ACWBill »

Bismarck and Prinz Eugen as they appeared just before the Battle of Denmark Straights.

"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Awesome work!!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Spectacular ships Bill! Do you position the guns in the main turrets like that? They look so realistic, like they are being positioned independently. Mine look like the whole turret is a single piece of steel.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

If I recall correctly the Bismarck arrived with the guns pretty bent up. I straightened one of them out, and then realized if I bent them too much that they would simply break. So most of them I just straighten the barrels and did not try to put them back into alignment as I thought it looked pretty cool anyway. I did not have the same problem with Prinz Eugen.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Prinz Eugen and Bismarck came out nice! Beautiful job. Is it a display or an actual wargame?

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Bill, great work on the GHQ ships. Always love your painting work and terrain. I will never forget your terrain workshop you did at HMGS in the old hotel in Tampa. I still have one of your painted GHQ ships I won from a raffle in Jacksonville's Rapier convention many years ago. Keep up the great work and hope to see you at Hurricon in September!

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

I took the photos a number of years ago right before a Denmark Straights scenario I ran for my club. The game went badly for Bismarck. Thanks all you Gents for the kind words. I recall donating a ship to the raffle, but I don’t remember which vessel it was.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Bill, it was the WWI battleship Kaiser. It is beautifully placed on MDF board with painted water effects. I love your painting work. Keep up the good work!