Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Here's the color chart and thanks for the compliment nuts4ships!
[/url]Image

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

Thanks so much for posting the camo scheme scans of the Italian Soldati Class ships. The new book you received is awesome! :D

Would your new book have any color camo profiles or plates for the Turbine Class or Navigatori Class?

Thanks again for sharing the Italian scans for the Soldati Class. They are extremely useful to match camo schemes for specific ships. :D

Cbovill,

Great job on the German ships! :D The photos really came out great. Thank you for sharing.

Scott

SeaHarrier2006

Post by SeaHarrier2006 »

Nice work Chris,

Just seen your work on the German batttle group, and I must say I would be proud to sail on any one of them if they were the real thing.

Top work mate, keep it up.

Mark. (SeaHarrier2006)
England expects every man will do his duty.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalger October 21st 1805.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Here are the camo schemes for the Navigatoris. Sorry to keep you waiting Scott. I'll get the Turbine class up as well.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

Thank you very much for posting the scans for the Navigatoris! :D

That book you purchased is incredible! I love how it gives you both the port and starboard side color plates.

I am looking forward to seeing the other scans for the Turbine class.

Thanks again for sharing the camo schemes! :D

Best regards,

Scott

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I just got the Roma back in service. All of my Littorios suffered damage from our move. By the way, it's nice to see that GHQ has several painted examples of their Italian ships online now. Good job GHQ!

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Hi Grant. On the Roma I masked it and airbrushed it. Then I went back and painted out with a brush any paint that might have gotten under the tape. Fortunately not much got under the tape.
John

SeaHarrier2006

Post by SeaHarrier2006 »

Hi regia-marina,

Looking at the job you have done on the Roma, I must say your Italian shipyard has done a cracking job on her.. I am mainly working on the modern stuff at the moment, but seeing the Roma in all her splender is starting to inspire me to do a few WW2 ships in the near future.

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to your next pictures.

Mark (SeaHarrier2006)
England expects every man will do his duty.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalger October 21st 1805.

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Regia-Marina,

The Roma looks beautiful! Fantastic job! Your work is so crisp and the detail is perfect. I use the same technique for applying camo on my ships. Some questions on your construction methods for Roma:
1. What did you use for the masts? I use varying thicknesses of brass and metal rods/wire and then super-glue them together. I've been interested in something more durable like soldering them together but my soldering iron won't do that size.
2. How did you get the turrets to rotate on the main battery? Are you using the magnets described in this forum or some other technique. Would love to know as I have wanted to make the main battery turrets on my ships rotate.
3. Finally, when you are applying the camo scheme do you fully assemble the ship first and then apply the pattern, or do you apply it while the ship is still in its component parts?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm always looking to improve. ...and again - magnificent work!

Chris

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks guys for the compliments on the Roma. To answer cama's and cbovill's questions, I just use regular white masking tape. I only airbrush the hull. The superstructures I always do freehand. One thing that has really helped me is the use of a magnifying lamp. It has helped me especially with my freehand work and clean up work after the camo scheme has been applied. I always apply the camouflage scheme when the ship is still in it's component parts. This makes it easier for me to get in the hard to reach places and get paint coverage where I need it. It also makes repairing mistakes easier.

As far as the masts go, they are plastic from the sprews (sp?) of old plastic model kits that I passed over a flame and stretched until I got the desired thickness. I too would like something more permanent but this has worked for me for a long time. They are easy to repair when damaged, and cheap.

The turrets are sitting freely in their mounts. I have never had a problem with this. I have gamed these ships a lot and I have never lost a turret. I was however intrigued by the idea of using magnets.

cbovill- No problem with all the questions. I to am always looking for ways to improve my work. Your own ships are what I measure mine by. Your work on your English and German ships is excellent. At any rate, I hope everyone keeps posting pictures of their handiwork to be enjoyed by all. Take care!
John

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Question:
I am currently building the following ships and looking for information on paint schemes for each:

HMS Illustrious, as she appeared during the November 1940 raid on Taranto.
HMS Furious, found a good scheme on www.modelwarships.com but interested in any from 1939 - 1942
HMS Duke of York, as she appeared during the Battle of North Cape or anytime between 1941 - 1943
HMS Malaya, as she appeared anytime during 1939 - 1942
HMS Royal Sovereign, as she appeared anytime during 1939 - 1942

Any color plates/diagrams would be very much appreciated as I am lacking in this department.

Thanks,
Chris

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Thought I'd bring this topic up to the top just in case my question got missed due to all the hullibaloo over civilians. (I'd personally like to see more non-combatant ships - do those count as civilians?)

Xveers

Post by Xveers »

Agreed. It would be nice to have another two or so freighters (I think we have a tanker... if not, one of those would be great).

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Chris,

I'll check my sources for you tonight. I should be able to find something that you're after. I've got all the Alan Raven books on RN camouflage schemes. If you don't have these I highly recommend them. Do a google search for ship camouflage and you should find it.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

groundlber
E5

HMS Furious

Post by groundlber »

I found one color drawing of the Furious in Arco's "Famous Warships of World War 2. The ship is an overall dark grey with the afterpart of the hull and superstructure painted black 'to mask the stain from the funnel exhaust'. I presume the rectangular objects below the aft of the hanger deck are the exhausts. According to this book, the Furious spent most of the year operating in the North Atlantic, but in September of 1941 delivered Spitfires to Malta.
The notes on camouflage schemes mentions the British used a pattern of dark grey hull and light grey upperworks in the Mediterranean.
I hope this helps.
Groundlber