Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

STS

Re: Micronaut Only Thread

Post by STS »

Brigade Commander wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 am
For anyone modeling the USN PacFlt of WW-II how are you handling ship's camouflage? I am modeling all warships that participated in any of the naval battles from Coral Sea and Midway through the eight naval battles of the G.u.a.d.a.l.c.a.n.a.l Campaign. Since those ships that survived and participated in more than one battle was likely to have served under more than one camouflage measure it leads to later task forces having a multitude of measures present.

Currently, I am painting them in either 1) the measure that they wore when they were sunk or 2) the last measure they were in around the time of the Battle of Rennell Island (January 29~30, 1943). But, as noted, this could leave some models mis-matched with her task force mates in later battles. I have semi-seriously thought about modeling the ships, separately, for each battle. Defense spending levels prohibit that currently with the USA heavy brigade for the 1980's in the FRG trying to be brought up to full level as well.

Just curious how others handle it. The thought of being able to just pull out a tray for Coral Sea or Eastern Solomons and having all of the ships that were there is enticing. But...
I had the same decision to make, when I started painting my Royal Navy forces. They seemed to have so many different patterns, that it seemed impossible to get the right one on each ship. For some of the less famous, ships it would almost impossible to find out if they were every painted in a certain pattern.

Since also like my fleets to look "uniform", I took the easy way out: I chose a non-camo colour scheme for each faction and stuck to it.

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

redleg wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:52 am
Holy Smokes Dude! Those ships look great! I can't believe the level of detailed painting you applied to them!
Thanks, redleg, but I am just the person who added the bases and took the photographs. I don't have the eyes for painting little warships so I hire someone more competent. Though I did do these a while ago:

ImageChinese Houbei (Type 022) 1/2400 Miniature Missile Boats

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Cool ships. I love the detail work and the camouflage.

whenimaginationfails
E5

Guroburov wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:15 pm
Cool ships. I love the detail work and the camouflage.
Thanks, Guroburov. They were fun to paint.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Is anyone using 1/285 scale aircraft for their 1/2400 scale naval battles? I was reviewing my 1/285 scale Regia Aeronautica today and thought maybe I'll use it in my naval battles. In that scale I have almost every type of plane in the R.A.'s inventory. Plus my eyesight isn't what it once was and painting 1/2400 scale aircraft isn't that easy.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 am
Is anyone using 1/285 scale aircraft for their 1/2400 scale naval battles? I was reviewing my 1/285 scale Regia Aeronautica today and thought maybe I'll use it in my naval battles. In that scale I have almost every type of plane in the R.A.'s inventory. Plus my eyesight isn't what it once was and painting 1/2400 scale aircraft isn't that easy.
I use 1/1200 scale planes from Cap Aero. I also have a bunch of 1/600 scales planes, but decided to go with the 1/1200 scale planes since the 1/600 looked a little too large for my GHQ 2400 scale ships. But it really comes down to your personal preference. To me, 1/285 scale would be too large for me, although it would be very easy to identify the plane models for many people playing games.

I only use the GHQ 2400 scale planes for carrier decks and markers on land bases and airfields. That way the ground scale of 2400 stays the same.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks ww2navyguy. That's a good idea. I'll look in to those. My paint jobs on the 1/2400 scale aircraft have left me less than satisfied.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead. The STS Fleet Review reminds me that my first love is naval wargaming. It is always a pleasure to see everyone's latest work as well as past projects posted here. I haven't completed any ships lately but I do have some Kreigsmarine ships in the queue. With Spring Break here it is time to get back to the workbench and the gamming table.

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

regia-marina,

Your attempt to resurrect this thread from the dead last March hasn't done too well - so far. I had to go down to the fourth page to find it. What's happened Are all the ship collectors/gamers getting too old to do anything? Are there so few "good" additions that we've "lost hope?" Are you all getting as "pig lazy" as I have?

In my defense, I've been sick for awhile (NOT COVID, at least, but not something I'm gonna recover from) and/or at least partly lazy! I've got a couple of projects in progress (if you can call it "progress" when you haven't done ANYTHING ON THEM FOR MONTHS. I'M MODIFYING A COUPLE OF USSR WWII DREADNOUGHTS TO MAKE THEM LOOK A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT. ON ONE OF THEM I'M REMOVING THE AA GUNs FROM THE CENTRAL TURRETS, AND PUTTING ON DIFFERENT CRANES (PLEASE FORGIVE THE 'ALL CAPS.' I accidentally keep hitting the caps key because my pinkie finger is stiff); and possibly put a float plane on the #3 turret. On the other I'm going to remove those heavy cranes try & build something new in their place. I'm using the drawings in Seigfried Breyer's book as a guide. I also started work on a WWI German CL. A GHQ model has four funnels; as near as I can figure, the German fleet (at Jutland) had what appears to be a virtually identical CL with three funnels. My plan is/was to but 3 extra 'four funnel superstructure' pieces from GHQ so I could modify the superstructure to look like the three funnel ship (One piece to practice trimming down the superstructure, so the funnels would be in the right place, one to separate the bridge from the whole casting, and one - along with the piece that came with the model - to use when I screw up my initial trials.) Every once in a while I look at my work table and tell myself "I've got to order those extra pieces so I can start that work. Maybe tomorrow."

I've still got to paint my WWI Italian fleet, and finish my WWII Argus, along with a few other things from WTJ.

How about all you? Anyone working - or thinking of working - on modifying GHQ ships? I don't collect anything post WWII, but I seem to remember seeing some posts on building modern warships awhile ago.

Back in the 70s, I ran a naval wargame for awhile. I wrote about this some years ago, but some of you may not remember this story. I set up a variation of Mers-El-Kebir, where the French fleet was at sea (and the UK carrier wasn't around to confuse the issue). This battle ended with a resounding victory when HMS Hood "T-boned" an "R" class battleship at 32 knots. I've forgotten most of the battles I ran, but always remember this one.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I post quite a few pictures of my Micronauts, all WWII stuff, but I’d been posting them on my thread. I didn’t really see the need to double post the same pictures. I can, it’s not really a problem. I guess that way no one would have to search through my pages of other stuff just to find boats.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Bill (aka Beagle),

I don't think you need to post your painted WW2 Micronauts photos twice on the GHQ forums. I am following your main post (Bill's stuff) and enjoy seeing your wonderfully painted models...especially the WW2 ship models.

Please keep sharing your work in new postings. I hope to share some pictures of some of my ship models in the near future.

Thanks again for sharing your hobby on this forum and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your good work.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Can do! I’m working on the DE Dennis right now.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Hi Mikee,
It is true that the resurrection of this thread didn't go too well. That is to be expected in retrospect as the forum and culture have changed a lot since 2006. I am not criticizing that as most showcase their work on individual threads now. Originally, I saw this thread as a clearing house for showcasing work, and sharing tips on all things Micronaut and naval wargaming. I based it on 8ball's Infantry Only Thread.

As in most forums, individual threads come and go and disappear into the mists of the back pages. 15 years ago I figured that this thread would stay on page 1 as an easy reference. I have enjoyed the individual threads and will continue to enjoy the talent that is represented on this forum. I don't claim the Micronaut Only Thread thread as my own. It is not and was never intended as such. It is for all of us who enjoy naval wargaming and painting Micronauts.

Mikee, I'm glad to hear you are still working on your collection. Keep at it! I look forward to seeing more of your work and comments. Let's see that WW1 Italian fleet! Here's to our hobby and all of you who participate in it! (Raising a glass of 4 Roses to all of you)
John

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

So why didn’t GHQ ever do a combat command for its micronauts? You know, like both sides in a box to give you the ships for a specific battle? Or would that be too many ships and variants?

I want to jump in it at some point but seems like an expensive proposition to do a proper, high profile battle, esp. WW2

whenimaginationfails
E5

BurtWolf wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:48 am
So why didn’t GHQ ever do a combat command for its micronauts? You know, like both sides in a box to give you the ships for a specific battle? Or would that be too many ships and variants?

I want to jump in it at some point but seems like an expensive proposition to do a proper, high profile battle, esp. WW2
I have seen a 1/6000 scale vendor do that, but even then it can run to over $100. I would think that 1/2400 GHQ naval battle boxes would give people sticker shock.