Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Great camo job on your Italian fleet Regia-Marina! I'd love to have my Brits go into battle against your Italians. When I do eventually start building my own Italian WWII naval forces, I will be asking you for assistance on the paint schemes.

Chris

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks cbovill for the compliment. I was thinking the same thing about going into battle against your Royal Navy. I have lots of reference material on the Italian Navy so let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

I've sorted out an order... yet more Shermans 'coz I STILL find myself one short, a company of M-5s, and a sqn of Char B1s and H-39, oh and Micro Armour The Game, since Rusty may need an opponent. Now I can fit one more in, and I'm thinking WWII battleship, either US or Italian (although the thought that I could get Richelieu and make her Jean Bart for Torch what if has just popped in). There are plenty of references for most US battleship colour schemes, but is anyone able to help with the Italians or Jean Bart?

I tend to get a bit fussy about the paint schemes. Since capital ships are named and have a single prototype you might as well try to get as close as you can to what she looked like. Such details can be less important on tanks (but even then I try to match a published scheme if they're all the same :oops: ).

Another possibility is PoW as sunk. The KGV model is going to be about right, isn't it?

Suggestions appreciated.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Hi Mickel,
Are you looking for reference materials for the Italians and their camoflage schemes? If you are I will be happy to post a list of them. In fact, I think I'll do it anyway tomorrow night when I return home. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about Regia Marina paint schemes as well. Best of luck. Cheers.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

I'm also interested in Italian WWII naval camo schemes, especially for destroyers.

If you have any info or good references for Italian WWII naval camo for destroyers, please post them here.

Thanks in advance. :D

Scott

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

That would be much appreciated.

Mike

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

I was looking back at our wishlists of what we'd like to see GHQ come out with and then how many they actually come out with in a year. Big difference in what we'd like to see vs. what they can produce. Between WWI, WWII and modern, it looks like they can come out with about 5 new ship models a year. So sticking with that limitation, the five I'd like to see come out next year are:

1. German WWII CA Deutschland/Lutzow
2. British WWII CA Kent
3. British WWI AMC Otranto (Battle of Coronel)
4. British WWII BB Malaya
5. French WWII BB Bretagne

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

There is good news and bad news when it comes to reference books for the Regia Marina's camouflage schemes. The good news is that there are a lot of good books available. The bad news is that they all have to be ordered from Italy and are rather expensive, around Eu. 60. Here's the list of the books I use:
Mimetizzazione Delle Navi Italiane 1940-1945 (This is the definitive book on the subject. I have this book on order as it has just come out. Supposedly comes with color plates showing port/starboard camouflage schemes. These I can scan and post or email to anyone interested in a certain camouflage scheme. I'll post my review of it when it shows up.)
Navi e Marinai Italiani (This is a pictoral reference book with many pictures showing both port and starboard sides of Italian warships. This book and the one below have been my main refs. when painting camouflage)
Le Navi da Guerra Italiane 1940-1945 (Same type of book as above.)
There was also a series of books put out by Ermano Albertelli Publishing in Italy which come with port/starboard color plates. Some of these books are still available. I unfortunately only have the following: Regolo, Montecuccoli, and the Pilo Class.
I order these books from the Libreria Militare in Milan. They have always provided excellent service and I have never had a problem with any of my many orders. The address is http://www.libreriamilitare.com/
I hope this helps.
Last edited by regia-marina on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I'm sure most are familiar with The Painter's Guide to WW2 Naval Camouflage, from Clash of Arms. I use this for color and paint selection. Just thought I'd mention it.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

If you have any scans of camo patterns used on Soldati Class or Turbine Class destroyers, can you post them?

I am trying to find some camo paint schemes for these class of Italian WWII ships.

Thanks so much! :D

Scott

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I'd be happy to scan the plates ww2navyguy. I'm just waiting for Mimetizzazione Delle Navi Italiane 1940-1945 to show up as it supposedly has color plates and that would be the easiest to scan. All of Italy is on vacation right now and moving a bit slow. Hopefully the book will show up in the next week or so. Otherwise if you have specific ships let me know and I can look for and scan photos of both sides. -John

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

Well.... I've settled on Giulio Cesare and ordered her. Then I find that Pat Hreachmacks Painters Guide has both Andrea Doria and Caio Duilio, but neither Conte di Cavour... :( You'd have thought I'd check first, but no.

Does anyone know where I can find more than a grainy b/w photo of of one side so that I can paint her (or her sister) properly?

Regia-marina, it's safe to assume your list of references are in Italian? Getting books from there isn't a problem (I've had to import most of my library), and good books are rarely cheap, but actually understanding them might be the hard part.

Lorraine next. :)

Mike

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Mickel,

Here are a few scans I have to share on BB Cavour and BB Giulio Cesare. The reference I used is Regia Marina - Italian Battleships of World War Two by Erminio Bagnasco and Mark Grossman.

Hope this helps.

Scott

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

Here is a list of Soldati and Turbine Class destroyers that I am looking for camo schemes on. Sorry if the list is a bit long.

Soldati Class DDs

Granatiere
Fuciliere
Bersagliere
Alpino
Lanciere
Ascari
Carabiniere
Corazziere
Artigiere
Camicia Nera
Aviere
Geniere

Turbine Class DDs

Euro
Nembro
Ostro
Turbine
Borea
Aquilone

Any information you can share on camo schemes used on these Italian destroyers would be great.

Thanks!

Scott

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Her's another scan that may help for the Cesare from the same book by Bagnasco/Grossman,

ww2navyguy, let me see how the book is that I ordered on the camo. schemes. I'll upload the plates for you. If it doesn't have what we're looking for then I'll scan some photos from the books I do have.