Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

regia-marina
E5

Micronaut Only Thread

Post by regia-marina »

I'm taking my cue from 8ball and his Infantry Only Thread on this one. I'm thinking that this one could be a wishlist, share your naval battles, and show us yer stuff thread but specifically dedicated to WW1 and WW2 Micronauts. I'll post pics of my Regia Marina as soon as I finish with my move and my new computer shows up. Hopefully early next week :D . Just as cbovill loves seeing infantry move into action, there is nothing like seeing ones beloved fleet close with the enemy for action. I have no recent naval actions to report on unfortunately. As for Micronauts I'd like to see (my apologies for being redundant):
CA Pola
Gabbiano class corvettes
Italian 1/2400 scale aircraft
Italian Adua class subs
Italian Ocean going subs
MAS/MS torpedo boats
More Italian destroyers!

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

IMO the best way to provide ships is much the same way that I buy them (but I would say that)... pick a battle and do them all. I don't mean something like Jutland, or Midway - those would come wth time. Something like Surigao Strait. One of the Japanese battleships is done. The other was her sister, so probably won't be that hard to do. I cheated and simply moved the catapult on the Yamashiro model. Half of the US battle line is done already, and the remaining three have either an earlier version of the same ship or a sister already available. Savo Island would be another good one. From there it's a steadily decreasing number of new ships until hey-presto Midway isn't soooo far away. Toss in the odd variation along the way for change - like another Fletcher version, or a rebuild of a British cruiser. There are plenty of those to choose from.

There are plenty of battles in the Med as well, and a few from WW-I.

Again IMO, it would be better to concentrate on the age of the big guns than the modern ships, but only purely from a gaming point of view. My 1:6000th ships are a mile long on the table top in that scale, let alone 1:2400, although they are very nice models.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

You've started a great post! :D

I just left a bunch of 1:2400 scale naval photos I took from Historicon 2006 convention on a posting titled "Historicon 2006." I wish I added them to this one. :(

I will have to see what other naval Micro Nauts photos I can add to this post.

Regarding my wish list for new GHQ Micro Nauts models, these are my top requests:

German CB Gneiseneau
German CB Lutzow
German CA Admiral Hipper
British CA London/Kent Class
British BB Malaya
Italian CA Pola
Italian DD Freccia & Folgore class
Italian DD Oriani class
Italian DD Maestrale class
Japanese DD Kagero class
Japanese DD Akatsuki class
Japanese CVE Taiyo class
Japanese CVE Unryu class
Japanese CVE Hosho
Japanese BB Fuso
Japanese CL Kuma class

Thanks again for creating the post. I'll try to post some pics next time.

Scott

Sierra 19

Post by Sierra 19 »

Where can you get Napoleonic naval rules?

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

I'm going to love this topic! ...and I apologize in advance for flooding this one with pictures. I've got seven ships that are 90% complete right now and will be posting pix this weekend. And I'll definitely be posting more AAR's.

As for my wishlist of ships, here it is:
Germany CA Deutschland/Lutzow
Germany CA Admiral Scheer
Germany CA Admiral Hipper
Germany AMC's (any will be a great addition)
Germany Land Based Air (Do-200, Ju-87, Ju-88, He-111, Bf-109)
Britain BB Malaya
Britain CA Kent
Britain AMC Rawalpindi
Britain Armed trawlers
Britain Tanker
Britain Merchantman - Doxford
Britain Midsized liners (troop transports)
Britain Carrier Based Air (Swordfish, Fulmars, Skuas,...)
Britain Land Based Air (Hurricanes, Spitfires, bombers,...)
Britain Seaplanes (Sunderlands, Catalinas,...)
Italy Need Submarines
Italy Land Based Air (SM.79,...)
Italy Need more Destroyers
Japan CV Hosho
Japan More late war carriers
Japan Tanker
Japan More Maru's
France BB Bretagne
France Need submarine
France AVS Commandante Teste
Dutch SS KXIV
US T2 Tanker
US Need Midsized liners (troop transports)

I used to have the Gneisenau on my list but I converted a Scharnhorst into her and so am concentrating on the pocket battleships instead. I think the land based air and the merchantmen will really add to the variety in naval wargaming. Looking forward to more posts from all you naval gamers out there!

Chris

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Sierra 19,

Not wanting to step on GHQ's toes here I would recommend a simple google search for something like "age of sail rules" and you'll get plenty of hits to start you on your way. If you want to PM I can give you more ideas offline.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

I second the call for more aircraft for both WWII and Modern!

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

DarrylH

Post by DarrylH »

Here's a few I'd like to see:

T22 (Elbing) Class German Torpedo Boat--an attractive DE size ship that saw a lot of service and gave the RN a bloody nose on occasion.
S and MAS boats, MBTs--German and Italian coastal forces could use representation, as could their RN counterparts.
T Class British submarine--the U class was useful in the Med, but hardly representative of RN submarine design.
British Landing Ship Infantry--saw extensive use in the Mediterranean, to say nothing of D-Day.
S Class US Submarine--not all war patrols in the Pacific were by fleet boats.
PG-50 US Gunboat Class--WWII era gunboats; looked like yachts but carried 4 six inch guns, and saw service in the Caribbean and Northern Pacific.
DD-372 USS Cassin--she and Downes were wrecked at Pearl Harbor, but rebuilt with a strong RN influence (bridge design).

I'd also like to second German and Italian aircraft, Hipper, Scheer, and Lutzow, HMS London (HMS Enterprise would be nice as well), WWI era Italian destroyers rerated as torpedo boats during WW2, IJNS Kuma in her CLAA guise, and the Kageros. As to Napoeonic micronauts, I'd love to see the USN's Peacock class sloop of war represented--great commerce raiders and designed with the same philosophy as the 44s.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I was hoping to post some pictures of the fleet. Can anyone explain to me how to do it :lol: I'm not a good engineer. Thanks! [/img]

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

What I do is upload my pictures to my free account on www.photobucket.com and then I copy the text in the "Img" box for the image into my post on this forum and presto!

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

... and as promised earlier, here are pictures of my latest ships I've completed.

HMS Nelson

HMS Queen Elizabeth

HMS Valiant

HMS Eagle (starboard view)

HMS Eagle (port view)

HMS Eagle (overhead view)

HMS Belfast (I'll be camouflaging her later)

HMS Manchester

I've been practicing with taking group shots on my camera, I've set the aperture to f22 and mounted it on a mini tripod. I'm getting mixed results - some are still blurred or double imaged. Would appreciate any camera experts out there giving me some advice on how to take good deep view shots.

The Battlecruiser Squadron

Four "Queens"

...and a pair of "Kings"

I was going to call this shot British Steel, but instead its all blurred :(

My British carrier force

...port view (blurred)

Admiral Marschall's hunting group

Zerstroyer flotilla

Chris

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks cbovill for the info on photobucket! Great job on the ships too. I'll post more photos as I unpack from my move and repair damage to some of my ships. Also, I'll improve my background on the next posts.
Guilio Cesare and the Trento

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

This is my version of the Pola. It's a Zara class hull with a Bolzano superstructure. Not perfect but it will have to do untill GHQ comes out with a model of the Pola.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

A shot of a few light cruisers and destroyers.
1st row: Regolo, Scipione Africano, Bari
2nd row: Bande Nere, Cadorna, Savoia, Aosta
3rd row: Lanciere, Aviere, Vivaldi, Usodimare

Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

I really appreciate the special offers GHQ makes from time to time. Regarding Micronauts, I recognize the savings offered and I usually take the opportunity to add a ship or two to the steadily growing collection. Over time, this allows me to get into a new period of naval gaming once I have a core group collected.

Zeppelin