Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Great info on the British DD leaders! Look forward to GHQ producing models just as you laid out possble pack variants. I think I would purchase the same kits you listed. Thanks again for this info and hope GHQ can produce them in near future. :wink:

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

Some nice looking ships on here for sure
I've taken a dive into WWII naval wargaming lately, a set of rules that are quick and fun, which is just right for my two boys, 9 and 7...and for myself as well.

I'm looking at getting the British carrier CV Illustrious. Wondering what the length and width are for the GHQ ship?
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

I don't have the GHQ model but GHQ usually is pretty good at getting the scaling right.
The Illustrious had an overall length of 753ft 3in, which scales to 3.77 inches (9.58 cm). The waterline beam was 96ft 9in, which scales to 048 in or 1.21 cm. Note, however that the actual width of the ship would be significantly greater because of the flare and overhang.

Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Welcome aboard to naval war gaming! Great to hear that you are doing this with your boys. Which rules are you using?

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

Donald M. Scheef wrote:I don't have the GHQ model but GHQ usually is pretty good at getting the scaling right.
The Illustrious had an overall length of 753ft 3in, which scales to 3.77 inches (9.58 cm). The waterline beam was 96ft 9in, which scales to 048 in or 1.21 cm. Note, however that the actual width of the ship would be significantly greater because of the flare and overhang.

Don S.
Okay. Probably closer to the size of the GHQ Renown or Repulse then I'm guessing, both of which are close to that size, Repulse being around 4" mark.
regia-marina wrote:Welcome aboard to naval war gaming! Great to hear that you are doing this with your boys. Which rules are you using?
Thanks. I've had a few Italian and British ships for a few years. It wasn't up until a few months ago that my oldest boy saw them as I was inventorying my 6mm WWII German, Soviets and British/Canadian troops. He was curious about playing them, so went looking for an easy gaming system that was also fast. Found 'Find, Fix and Strike' on the Wargame Vault. Very enjoyable for the younger ones. A couple of small battles, no more than 2 ships per side.
I've recently picked up a few more Italian ships, some British cruisers and transports. Once those are completed, will be looking at some aircraft for Germany and Italy for bombing raids on the British Convoy towards Malta or Crete :D
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

Renown and Repulse were 794 ft overall with 90 ft beam at the waterline. This scales to 3.97 inches (10.08 cm) by 0.45 in (1.14 cm).
Illustrious is about 5% shorter and about 6% greater in beam. In general "about the same size."

Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

rct75001
E5

Post by rct75001 »

I’m looking to some hints / help please.

I have just started to put together my first WWI micronauts to paint. But I am finding the masts to be very problematic. Easily bent and the, almost impossible to straighten on,y to bend again at a slight knock.

Do others replace them and is so with what and any tips?

Thanks a lot.
Richard

rct75001
E5

Post by rct75001 »

I’m looking to some hints / help please.

I have just started to put together my first WWI micronauts to paint. But I am finding the masts to be very problematic. Easily bent and the, almost impossible to straighten on,y to bend again at a slight knock.

Thanks a lot.
Richard

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

rct75001 wrote:I’m looking to some hints / help please.

Thanks a lot.
Richard
I use a pair of tweezers to straighten them out. It works well. However, some of my ships I've had for 30 years and the masts have broken after so much straightening. I have replaced those masts with plastic from the sprues of old model kits. I heat it with a candle and pull it apart to the desired thickness. It has worked well and looks good too.

Mikee
E5

scout plane colors

Post by Mikee »

I'm still working on my Gneisenau. I'll have to put the scout plane on this ship (I usually don't put those uncivilized weapons on my ships). What were the airplane colors?

I'm also considering modifying two of the Soviet BBs to make them look a little different. Primarily by using different cranes, but I've also been thinking of putting a scout plane on the third turret of one of the BBs, if I can clean off tte AA guns on two of the turrets. (My plans are based on drwings in Breyer's book on the worlds' battleships.) What colors did the Soviets use on their naval scout planes?

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

rct75001:

I use a pair of spade-headed tweezers to straighten out my masts. I think Micro-mark sells them, although I've had my pair for so long that I don't remember where I got them. The spade-shaped heads ar smooth, and are great for straightening out small things like masts, gun barrels, etc.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I have been looking over this thread and it is too bad that so many of the pictures have disappeared or have been marred by Photo Bucket. This thread has been very useful as a reference and for tips on painting our Micronauts. It has been great to see everyone's handiwork. I'm going to post some new photos of ships that I have already posted. Most have been repainted since they were originally posted. I would encourage anyone who has had their photos blurred by PhotoBucket to repost.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Roma, Littorio and the Vittorio Veneto

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

All the Italian battleships. Well, minus the Impero. I'm waiting for GHQ to release a model of it.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Lutzow, Graf Spee and Admiral Scheer