magnetic game board for Micronauts etc

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

mlcolbert

magnetic game board for Micronauts etc

Post by mlcolbert »

Hi guys,

elsewhere on the forum there has been some conversation recently about the use of magnets for turrets and mounting aircraft. This got me thinking, as I am about to rearrange the study yet again, space being at a premium, I was thinking of placing megnets in the various ships and then using a whiteboard as the 'game table' but placed vertically along the wall. From that obviously, I get a bird's eye view of the action, but what I was wondering is this;
1. has anyone else tried this before and if so did you find that the magnets weren't strong enough?

2. am I missing something very basic in the rules (Harpoon for mods) or any other sets that I am not familiar with for other periods?

3. just some thoughts on the colour, possibly I will spray ocean blue over the board, but what sealant would be best for that so I don't have to continually repaint the surface?

Currently I have a 1200mm x 900mm board but if this works I would go for an 1800mm x 1200mm base

Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated,

michael[/i]

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Just my two cents but I would be very reluctant to try this. The magnets we've been talking about should be enough to hold the ships in place but what if... If they fall from a height of four or five feet there is bound to be some damage to the miniature. In my risk ** CENSORED ** the chance of the event occuring might be fairly small but the potential outcome could be very bad.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

mlcolbert

Post by mlcolbert »

absolutely agree, that's why I thought even for subs, then it would be a matter of using 2-3 magnets, I figure that that many should guarantee a holding force. Although with something as large as CVN 71 USS Theodore Roosevelt then I may have to go overboard (sic) in placing many magnets under that and similar sized vessels.

thanks Paul

michael

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...the magnets will hold. But it depends on the size of magnet(s) you use. K&J and Amazing magnets sell the same magnets. You can aquire different sizes. Some of the not much larger ones are capable of hoding a pound or more (sorry .5 kilo,for our UK Comrades).
John

mlcolbert

Post by mlcolbert »

that sounds great JB, it gets rid of some concerns read fears.about models falling.

now for the magnets.....

thanks again Paul and JB

michael

Thomaso827
E5

Post by Thomaso827 »

I found some magnets are cheaper on Ebay than from dealers. I have bought lots of 50 or 60 for $6 depending on the size. I use quarter inch diameter magnets inside the fuselage of plastic model airplanes for WW1 air war gaming, and even through the plastic, they hold almost too well, especially since I use a magnet in the top of the telescopic stand. I can pick up the stand by the model, and I have to really twist to get the aircraft off the stand. If you have a good magnet, you might think about covering the board with a blue plastic tarp instead of painting. May not look as good, but it will last forever in that useage, and will be thin enough to not cause any problems with the magnets. My concern would be a glue that will hold the magnet inside the bottom of the hull when you remove them from the board. You may find one or more magnets remaining on the board instead of in the ship. And, a warning note that came with a batch of magnets mentions not getting these things close to your wallet - they can mess up the magnetic strips on your credit cards.
Tom Oxley, OD Green Old Fart

mlcolbert

Post by mlcolbert »

Tom, looks like it is also best to start trawling eBay as well then.

You've also made me reconsider the way to cover the whiteboards, I can remove the frame easily enough, it would then be a matter of finding the 'best' material, whether that be a heavy tarp like one or possibly a plastic or heavy laminate??? I think I need to go and haunt the local art supply and haberdashery stores.

Thanks for pointer,

michael