New Combat Commands?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

av8rmongo
E5

New Combat Commands?

Post by av8rmongo »

Any chance of developing new Combat Commands boxed sets?

Specifically I'm thinking of Modern Germans, It would be great if there were Modern German sets the same way there are Modern US sets like a Tank Company or Mech Infantry Company. A sample TO&E for the German Tank company would be:

13 Leopard Tanks (you could use Leo 2 for 80's-90's and Leo 2A6 for 90's and up)
1 BPz-1 ARV
1 Man 5T truck
1 Unimog 2T truck
1 or 2 Iltis

The Panzer Grenadier company is harder to do right now since there are no GHQ German infantry and various lists have either 13 or 11 Marders in a company but even if you choose 11 Marders you could have something like:

11 Marders
2 M-106
2 Unimog
2 Iltis
Infantry when available.

The current German Combat Command is okay to field a Kampfgruppe right away, but it is awkward to build larger units with.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

thetourist
E5

Post by thetourist »

I agree. Combat Commands are a great way to get into the hobby for the first time, or start a new line of interest for someone who's been a collector for years.

I think an updated modern German CC would be great. A modern French CC would also be good. Maybe a Vietnam Riverine CC. Or a new line of Israeli/Arab CC's to cover the 60's and 70's.

I think the CC's are the most overlooked part of GHQ marketing. They would be so easy to put together using existing casts.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I really like the Combat Commands. Even though I've been collecting GHQ micros since 1973, I started my WW2 Italians last year with a Combat Command. That, plus some added items of interest to me, gave me an instant game-sized force.

I also bought the U.S. 1944 Medium Tank Company (M4A3) Combat Command last year. I found it was a very convenient way to get a company of Shermans. One of the great advantages was I didn't get too many of the items I don't need a lot of (I had no use for a bunch of 105mm Shermans or ARVs). In other words, it is good packaging of existing models to have the company TOEs.

How about this as an idea ... use new Combat Commands as a means of addressing the concerns many of us have expressed on the Individual Infantry selections ?

To wit:

XYZ Nation Infantry Company Combat Command

All the figures needed to make a 1-to-1 company, including infantry and heavy weapons. It could be no more than a re-packaging of the current Individual Infantry and Individual Heavy Weapons figures (maybe rounded out with a few of the older en-bloc heavy weapons if needed).
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

The first thing I look at when I want to start a new army is what combat commands are available. Over the years I've picked up 11 different ones (and sometimes more than one of the same for multiple theatres, or because you always buy Russians in bulk :wink: ), and there are more on my ever-changing wishlist. One was my very first GHQ buy - before they came with bunker boxes and rules, T-34s IIRC.

Like Mark, I think they're a good way to avoid four spare ARVs. And I suspect my Italians will start the same way...

It would work perfectly for many 1:1 infantry companies, ideally with the associated vehicles making up another set.

Mike

10mmACW

Post by 10mmACW »

I always wanted combat commands for the 10mm stuff.

How about Brigade packs that match the new ACW rules due out next month?
Could include a artillery battery and three or four regt's plus commander.

BattlerBritain
E5

Post by BattlerBritain »

I'd like the current Combat Commands to have the correct number of figures.

For example, WW2 German tank Companies were 17 tank companies, not 16 as in the packs.

WW2 Brit Sherman tank Companies were 20 tank Companies, not 19.

Missing just that 1 tank is a real PITB.

My 2 cents.

Rant over :-)

Mickel
E5

Post by Mickel »

Now you have to be careful... nominally, a German tank company could be as many as 22 (and I think the ones with Pz Is and IIs were bigger still), but that depends on what sort of tank and when... And as I understand it, a tank sqn any where between 15 and 19, again depending on what, and where.

This is the pitfall you can get into when getting too picky on TO&Es in combat commands - everyone will have a different idea! :lol:

Besides... if you don't like it, buy another pack to fill in the gap. You'll need some for a higher HQ anyway. 8)