Lack of Microarmor at GenCon

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Pitfall
E5

Lack of Microarmor at GenCon

Post by Pitfall »

There's a pretty long thread entitled "growing the hobby" and I thought that I would revisit that. A lot of people were discussing different ways to get people to play historical miniatures games, Microarmor in particular.

One thing that I noticed at GenCon is a distinct lack of microarmor and GHQ product. I saw plenty of 15 mm product (Flames of War in particular) as well as a lot of demos for 15mm games. Has GHQ ever exhibited and/or runa games at GenCon? If not, why? Does GHQ have a demo team?
I wish I had something witty to say...

El Grego
E5

Post by El Grego »

Howdy,

The closest thing to a 'GHQ Demo Team' that I have ever seen is John Fernandes running games at local conventions.

The more that Micro-Armour is played at conventions and stores the better, and the more likely that we will lure people into this segment of the hobby.
Greg
Two blogs - not much GHQ content, yet...

https://pewterpixelwars.blogspot.com/

https://minishipgaming.blogspot.com/

chrisswim
E5

Promo games at conventions.

Post by chrisswim »

GHQ has sponsored many games for me over the years at conventions, although many years ago. They have provided several gift certificates and a time or two provided a package or two for me to give out after a game at a con. One M1A1 Abrams, painted gold for the best player of the day's micro armor.

Those promotional programs may be in place.

Thunder
E5

Post by Thunder »

Althought I'd truely like top see GHQ put more into demos / pushing the line of products, I have to give them credit for doing something. I've run games at game cons and they have helped out with catalogs for all and gift certificates. At the last con a few weeks ago, one person on the German and one on the Russian side went home with a cert for GHQ products. Here's a picture:

http://www.microarmor.com/gallery/main. ... alNumber=2

Look for the red cert stapled to the catalog cover. --cb

WHM
E5

Post by WHM »

Funny you should mention lack of microarmor at GenCon.

The only conventions I am able to get to are the HMGS East Coldwars and Historicon. What I look for there is what I look for on this forum and that is pictures etc. of the micros and terrain. Pictures of games are great. But what I find surprising is while there are microarmor games at these shows is there are not more of them.

15mm games seem for some reason be in greater number. I looked at a FOW of some models and the price was something like $55. Prices may have gone up over the years but for less then 10 bucks you do get a preety good deal in comparison. As for the games played while 15mm maybe small some of the games look like rush hour! Vehicles packed cheek to jowel on a terrain feature dosen't look right. Myprefrence is for microarmor, and of course there is no right or wrong in someone having a prefrence, but when you comnsider the cost diffrential and the visual appeal of a more realistically deployed force, well it surprises me there weren't more then what was there.

At Historicon GHQ did run a game and it looked great. I regret I was not able to get in on that, but it was well done.

Another thing about microarmor, it does allow if you wish to fight wars that never were. As an examle, the Soviet Union invading the Middle East and confronting Isreali armor. If you are a pureist this maynot be your up of tea, but the option is yours. From what I saw FOW dosen't allow for that.

Not to step on anybody's toes, but my own personal prefrence I wish there were more games played.

mlcolbert

Post by mlcolbert »

I don't know guys, this seems to be a question which raises its head on different fora, eg ASL, Rackham from my personal knowledge of the past few years. Whilst I can appreciate the motives and the enthusiasm, I simply don't care! I have found what is best for my interests, it is great that there are people who share my passion etc but I don't have to convert the world. Also, different strokes for different folks. If there are people who prefer 15 mm or 25 mm great it doesn't stop me from talkng about when the first 17 lb guns hit Northern Africa etc. Whether we contribute to a growth in the hobby I think is a moot point as you would have to consider the range of ahderants to various hobbies vs on-line FRPG's etc. Look at the way that people are utilising their free time and so on. We might go out there and spend days or months each year enjoying ourselves introducing this aspect of the hobby to them, but hey, that's what turns some people on, it also turns others off. Live with it.

I mean the above in the most constructive fashion and if that comes over as an I don't care rave it was not meant to be, I was simply attempting to be 'objective' I'm probably too old to try to convert anyone anymore as well as the don't care. I am however, more than happy to support those who do in whatever small way I can.

what this thread does do is to show that there is energy on the forum, which I do applaud!

michael

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

My company works with the US Military doing simulations (TDGs). Our experience leads me to make several comments regarding the spread of 1/285 - 1/300 scale gaming.

Almost every unit we work with uses GHQ miniatures in some form or another for gaming purposes; ...at least those who must deal with tactical problems, as well as practice movement and deployment doctrine.

Most of the Marine Reserve units use GHQ scale vehicles primarily. Some use counters for infantry and support, ...or in some cases where they have a modeler on staff, actual paint infantry and support bases. We have even supplied equipment to a couple of Battalion HW companies so they can better visualize problems prior to an exercise...

I seem to remember there was a company out there on the web that specialized in making units suitable for the military, both Army and Marines, though I don't remember who they are, or if they are still in business. I believe GHQ still has a contract with the government to supply models as they come out? (do you still do that Greg?).

But that's the professional side...

On the gaming side GHQ has also supplied our group with items and gift certificates when we put on a game or simulation at conventions when we ask for support. We have not asked too many times, because I don't want to run out our welcome in that area, but that helps, ...because you can reward those players (especially young ones) who show an interest in our scale of gaming... as well as some skills.

The only way this hobby will grow is if both the manufacturer (GHQ in this case) and those dedicated gamers who want to support the growth of this hobby just get out there and do it... Put on games with as much support as GHQ is willing to give, and when they can't provide the support, do something yourself. That gold painted Tank is a great idea!

Ask for support when you are doing a convention game or two... they'll help, I am sure.

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

mlcolbert wrote:I don't know guys, this seems to be a question which raises its head on different fora, eg ASL, Rackham from my personal knowledge of the past few years. Whilst I can appreciate the motives and the enthusiasm, I simply don't care! I have found what is best for my interests, it is great that there are people who share my passion etc but I don't have to convert the world. Also, different strokes for different folks. If there are people who prefer 15 mm or 25 mm great it doesn't stop me from talkng about when the first 17 lb guns hit Northern Africa etc. Whether we contribute to a growth in the hobby I think is a moot point as you would have to consider the range of ahderants to various hobbies vs on-line FRPG's etc. Look at the way that people are utilising their free time and so on. We might go out there and spend days or months each year enjoying ourselves introducing this aspect of the hobby to them, but hey, that's what turns some people on, it also turns others off. Live with it.
michael
I'm not advocating that everyone try to convert the world. However, I would like to introduce some people to the game so I can play against them! There are a lot of people out there that might like Microarmor, and they will never get the chance to try it unless folks like us give them the opportunity. I know it turns people off, but FoW, Warhammer, and Warmachine turn people off as well, but lots of people play those games.

Also, if you don't bring new people into the hobby, the fanbase will slowly but surely get smaller. I will NOT live with complacency and watch this hobby die out.
I wish I had something witty to say...

Rolando

Demoing at conventons

Post by Rolando »

I recently make a topic about demoing microarmor as a mistake, my intention was to post here :)

well...

I'm in the demo thing, I really whant more miniature gaming, specially microarmor and historic symulation. I live in Panama (Central America) and the hoby is just beggining here, but there is a lot of interest...

People like me dont need a constant suply of free things to demo (altough it is welcomed ;) ), but a company directed effort is good.

Like some schedulled world tourneys or "Battle Days", like, for example, The D-Day Day, where around the world gamers play the same scenario competing for a ranking or somthing similar... That's the things that brings new blood to the hobby... Of course it is harder to make with historic gaming that with fantasy/sci fi simulations but can be done and inspire a feeling of been part of somthing that people likes...

1ComOpsCtr
E5

world wide competition

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Here we get into the problem of "which rules do we use" and "which troop representation scale" do we use..., etc., etc...

Having one universal set of rules and a universal troop scale would be great, but impossible unless all the different ideas expressed on this forum suddenly changed toward one direction... seems pretty unlikely though.

Great Ideas...

I'm all for a "world wide" system, and the possibilities that brings.

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Rolando

rules

Post by Rolando »

I dont thing that the rules are a problem...

If GHQ is coordinating the effort then we use Microarmor tm rules (WWII, Modern, Meckong, etc).

Even using diferent rule sets it is less of a factor. The scenario and theme is the important thing. Making a ** CENSORED ** disembark with Microarmor rules or other (even Axis & Allies rules) but using GHQ miniatures can be an interesting situation. Comparing the diferent outcomes and making a ranking based in objectives.

Some parameters must be set altough, something like the availabilities of support artillery rules and morale rules... In this case some very simplistic rules are automatically outlawed.

It just have to be clearly writen and very public to work.

After some months of world wide wargaming the GHQ staff can have some prizes shiped to the bests and a web page ready with all the information and ranking.

It can be coordinated with the hobby shops to make sure that everithing will arrive to the intended target of the prizes and to turn the hobby shop into an arena for all gamers to test theyr skills... and buy everything they saw on action too :)

It is done by the CCG's companies all the time and the ethics are very high this days on the hobby shop owners :) at least based on my experience.

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well just thought id chime in and add my two cents.

Locally we have a hobby expo in Taupo NZ every year and it seems apparent that the trend of 15mm FOW, Napolionics ect is alive and no GW/MA here. The last couple of times ive helped (FOW 2 years) and ive been helping most of the 10 years its been running ive used FOW

Well i think its time for a change, and im giving myself until July next year to get as much Micro Armour painted and set up a demo game for the weekend and i will use GHQ ruleset for WW2.

I always will demo a product to others expecially if its in the best interest of the hobby so book a ticket to NZ and come on over 8)

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

I done alot of micro armor over the 25 plus years but it seems 15mm is taking the lead at least in conventions....I enjoy FOW and am heading a group for our area for FOW....I like to be versatile when it comes to miniature games...they are all good in there own aspect. ..... i noiced at origins and heard that gencon never have any real micro armor anywhere other then a few vendors who sell some terrain <hills> or the dealers area where they sell use minis
Ar

razor

Post by razor »

I tried to hit up most of the GenCons when it was in WI and the only real time I saw a micro armor event(s) was when it was at Parkside, before it moved to Milwaukee. It was a large German-Soviet game and looked awesome. After that I remember a few dealers, got my first ComComm from GHQ there one year, then it dried up to nothing. Granted I'm new to the "minis conventions" but I don't see them much at Little Wars when I go.

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

razor wrote:I tried to hit up most of the GenCons when it was in WI and the only real time I saw a micro armor event(s) was when it was at Parkside, before it moved to Milwaukee. It was a large German-Soviet game and looked awesome. After that I remember a few dealers, got my first ComComm from GHQ there one year, then it dried up to nothing. Granted I'm new to the "minis conventions" but I don't see them much at Little Wars when I go.
Razor...I just remember when i was at origins this year there was a modern...I believe it was a vietnam battle going on...I didnt play in it since i was in the FOW tourney but the layout was real nice ...impressed i was

Ar