Building the GHQ MI-Jack Trans Lift Straddle Crane

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to N Scale models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

nmanica
E5

Building the GHQ MI-Jack Trans Lift Straddle Crane

Post by nmanica »

First sorry about the new thread I could not change the name so let's start here. The Mi-Jack was released by GHQ in 1995 I think and at the time it was the largest N scale kit around. I picked my kit up about 15 years ago at a swap meet and have been sitting on it since, But the time as come to build this kit !
First I won't be building step by step because I like to detail so good example is the cab, It needs windows so as I type this the primer is drying more. As I build I'll then list the products I'm using. This is going to be a long build, I'm already into it for 3 hours and didn't get much done and this will be a battle of wills, Trust me on this. So lets get rolling.

To save time all the parts have been cleaned as needed and there very little cleaning at all

Last edited by nmanica on Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Anyone can model prototypically,it takes a genius to model What If".

nmanica
E5

Re: Building the GHQ MI-Jack Trans Lift Straddle Crane

Post by nmanica »

OK, First thing I need to do is set up a "A" &"B" side so I know which why I'll be going

Hobby table didn't stay clean for long !

Adding the safety cage was hard to fit into the ladder. I used a old dental pick to widen the holes in the ladder but I got it done

Here is the ladder with the cage it is not glued in as of yet

That's it for now I need to prime a few things, So thanks for dropping in and see you again !

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Excellent start!

Luckily, the MiJack doesn't have a lot of different colors needed so, painting shouldn't be too much trouble.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Morning Star ! Thank you very much. Was hoping to make this thread a bit more inter active. Like what color should I paint the mi-Jack ? Should I build it in the up or down position ? Later today I'll be working on the cab, wheels and the third roll cage. I'm using Tamiya light gray primer. it dries a lot faster and is much smoother.

So do i paint the Mi-Jack white or yellow ?

nmanica 8)

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Got over to the hobby shop today and knocked out a little bit more, Finished the roll cages for the ladders and primed a few parts and made two " Bars " to protect the motors up on the rails.

I'm using Tamiya paint today, Been using there paint for awhile now and I find it better then most " Railroad " paints in fact I only use railroad colors or the bodies now. Today I used XF-1 Black, XF - ? Cockpit green and XF-64 Red Brown. let me say sorry for the poor pictures I replaced the lighting in the shop and need to set up a small photo area, As for the air brush I'll be using my Paasche Raptor gravity fed internal mix double action. when I use it I",m shooting paint at around 19-20 PSI so I can now paint say the tires without masking off.

Here is the inside of the cab in cockpit green.

Next are the roll cages. I must say it was not as bad as I was thinking. I used wooden dowels to get the shape and then test fitted till the part fit into the groove and tight as I could make it

I must say the photo etched parts are the best I have seen or worked with in a very long time had no problem at all cutting them, Once cut from the fret the bits that was lift popped right off with no problem. I use a 9mm blade to cut P.E.parts

Tires are primed but until I know what color the main body will will be I'm holding off painting them.

This morning while I was looking at pictures of the real thing I saw that on a few Mi-Jack's the cradle and lift arms are painted black

In the instructions GHQ said something about building a bumper for the two motors so I did, yes the holes are to big even maybe the wire is but I'm invoking the two foot rule

So if it rains again I'll be indoors, The only thing to do outside is get started on next years fire wood. See you soon.

N 8)

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

What few actual Mi-Jacks I've seen were painted yellow but, it's your baby so..?

As to up or down - you have to ask, action shot with a container or inaction shot sitting around?
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Good Morning Star, Well I was messing with color's yesterday and it going to be hard to pick one, Plus you know me I march to the beat of my own drum. So with that said I guess I'm going to wait till Saturday. It's been a long, hard week, Not looking forward to Thursday or Friday ! They say time heals all wounds but there are some wounds that will never heal.
N :cry:

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Morning to all that are up at this hour. Yesterday I got a little bit more done. I installed the chain cover on the to upper beams, Only one hole needed to be drilled out a wee bit deeper.

Said hole that I drilled out, This was the only one that needed to be deeper

Shot of the chain covers with one installed.

Was easy enough to get them lined up. I just picked up the beam and worked fast, Believe it or not I'm using Dollar Store super glue ! It cost only a dollar and it seems to be working great. Only issue it is really fast setting.

started to install the pistons on the cradle and found I lost one of the short pistons !!! the one from the kit is on top.

I've said it a zillon times before " Never Throw any Parts Away " I went to the parts box and found a pretty close match

After a little cutting and sanding I have my stand in piston.

Also finished the trailer I made for the Mi-Jack

I have some more pre-building to do but at at that point in time to start with installing and painting. So be safe out there and have a great week-end.

N 8)

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Banged out a little more of the Mi-Jack today, Worked on the upper walkways today and it was no walk in the park.

Here the upper beam before installing the uprights.

The other beam

Both beams are done, I let them dry and went back at it after lunch.

Here are both B and A side

Not glued in yet but it gave a me a good feeling where I was going.

Now the fun starts, Photo Etch !

The first walkway and the last for the day

stand alone before test fitting.

Test fit and wondering if I messed up big time ???

Parts that needed to be stripped again due to me messing up. Not the first time and won't be the last.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Still wondering about the color ? Leaning to white because 1. it will show off the detail GHQ put into making the kit and 2. White will hi-light all the mistakes I made :P Anyone have any input ?
N 8)

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Well, if not one thing it's something else Just got back from a visit with my surgeon and I'll be down for about 2-5 days. She gave me a Depo-Medrol shot and was told to do " Nothing " for a few days, When I asked her if I could build or paint, she looked at me and said " No" So in the mean time I'd like to wish one and all a happy, safe quite Thanksgiving. let's just pray we make it to 11/22. 8)
N 8)

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Got my fingers (and toes) crossed for you!

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

StarCruiser wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:46 am
Got my fingers (and toes) crossed for you!
Good morning Star, First I'd like to wish you and yours a very happy and safe Thanksgiving. As for me I was doing too much shooting with my new toy I guess I'll need a wee bit more padding next time out. Should be starting up again next week.

N 8)

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

So I went to the shop today and got a bit more done on the Mi-jack. Here are both upper beams with the walkways glued in place.

I'm using Mirco Kristal Klear to glue all the photo Etch in place, Besides using it for window glass it is also glue. What I like best when used on P.E. it has some give to it it, So if a P.E. happens to " Fall Off " it will not break off and take the paint with it like super glue will.

Here I already bent the work way and I'm just making sure it's square.

So I have the walkway sitting in place and it looks like to me the photo of the Mi-Jack as a small section of platform going to the left. I double checks and yeah something is there. I picked this first choice.

Then I found something better, cut it down to size and then made three supports for the bottom.

Now that I made a safety issue, I'm sure that exhaust pipe gets really hot so that is a GHQ step for the dump truck I think ?

I also put the exhaust grills in place, That took some doing as I wanted them to fix as flush as I could. Took some filing and a lot of test fitting but I like the way they came out I should have taken a picture of them alone.

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Serious progress there - especially considering you're supposed to be 'taking it easy'...HA!