Fire Truck

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to N Scale models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

sfsppe

Fire Truck

Post by sfsppe »

It's been inspiring to see the Zen Master and his projects, so I thought I'd give it a go myself. I have always wanted to see more emergency vehicles in N scale. I have built the GHQ fire engine and ladder truck and they are outstanding. Furthermore, the parts are excellent for use in other projects.

Here is my 1950's era American LaFrance 700 series TDA (tractor-drawn aerial) ladder truck. It took me 6 months to make.

This is a kit-bash of the "fire engine" that comes from the ancient truck set from model power ever since the 70's. While pretty atrocious by today's standards, the engine is a fairly representation of an American LaFrance 700/800 series pumper. I cut it apart, changed the wheels, built a new windshield and interior and rebuilt the turntable area.

The trailer is completely scratchbuilt from evergreen styrene. The ladder and turntable of course will look familiar to GHQ customers; it comes from the 1000 series ladder truck kit. The other ground ladders are laser cut wood, and although hard to see, there are a full array of scratchbuilt firefighting tools in the lower rack.

The truck is NOT pink; it's just my bad photography. It is decorated with microscale decals, including gold leaf trim throughout. Hope you enjoy!

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Very nice job!

I would love to see GHQ produce more Fire Engines as there is a serious lack of quality models out there for N Scale (not so bad for HO but even there...).

Another case of "sow's ear to silk purse"!
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

GHQ
Site Admin

Post by GHQ »

That looks really good, great work! Thanks for sharing. Would you share some more of the details about what you did when you made it?

Now we have had a couple people step up and show off their modeling skills, and both are really nice. Who wants to be next? We know that there are more of you out there!

Thanks again for sharing!

GHQ

sfsppe

Post by sfsppe »

I'm flattered; thanks for asking.

Yes I have a complete photo collection. I'll probably get around to posting them next week or so. Thanks!