White metal Kits

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to N Scale models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Ye ha!

I was beginning to worry...
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Star, I'm sorry to cause you any worry, and thank you for caring.Yes I could have got on-line but it ran thur my mind and well I never did, sorry. I ran up to Scotland before New Year to catch the last of duck/goose season then back to England, Left there then up to Scotland till June, spent way to much time in Iceland !!!!! what a place think I fell in love about 100 times a day then got late June off to Montana and home for now.
Have to call GHQ this coming week and speak with Chanlor and place my order and start shutting down the gardens then on to the trains.Sorry for being so long winded. Till the next post which will be sooner take care.
8)
"Anyone can model prototypically,it takes a genius to model What If".

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Well - obviously, you had a ton o' fun!

In the end, that's always a good thing.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

So I have a few things painted up, Set stuff to shoot some pictures and my Nikon won't work !!!! going to mess with it today and see what's up, if not just it maybe time to replace her. Everyone have a safe weekend.

8)

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Man it never ends !!! Been busy but that beats sitting around with my ………… !
So I've been messing with Black Pre shading, I mean all the other scales do it why not N scale ?? This is my old test shell so far so good I think ? Next one will be the GHQ excavator and this will not be a test run !! Once I get her built I'll be posting pictures of the steps.Sorry for the poor pictures using the wife's camera and not liking it.
N

Just a few more test shots.

Last edited by nmanica on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Looks good to me!

There's no reason why preshading can't be used in just about any scale.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Good Morning Star, Thank you Got the excavator finished yesterday and God what a monster ! Was the hardest build yet ! but she came out great. Will be firing up the airbrush later today and hope to have pictures posted and stuff.

N :lol:

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Ok, So I began the pre-shadowing and it's going to be a really big learning curve, The first set of pictures is the GHQ excavator before primer, Be warned this is picture heavy !

Next we have the arears which I wanted to shadow.

Now we the GHQ excavator wit white primer and black shadow, If anyone wants to know I use Tru-Color paint. As you can see I was making adjustments thur the entire time I was painting.

Went a wee bit heavy here.

Again making adjustments as I go looking left to right.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

One more note,in drilled a hole in the base of the frame and glued a small pin in place this way I can move the body around from time to time. Weight was added to the main body cavitie.

The top side.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

ok so here it is I have mixed feeling about it but this is all new to me. My first big mistake was last night I transferred Cat yellow spray paint from the can to a mixing jar and let it sit over night, I forgot how thin it is and you'll see it in the pictures

Overall I think it's ok but I feel I did a lot of extra work to get this were it's at while I could have done the same thing with weathering ???? Need to do it again but this time with a boxcar and instead of a white coat I'll do the base coat in black then use the white for the shadowing. I think the larger the subject the better it will turn out but I plan on doing it again maybe with a GHQ truck something a bit bigger. Please give feed back , your eyes may see something I don't.
P.S. I did touch up the tracks with grimy black.
N 8)

Last edited by nmanica on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

So, I went over yesterday to check out the excavator and it was a train wreak !!!!!! needless to say it has been stripped and I will be trying it again today.

N 8)

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

ok, Let's try this again ! I had everything posted last night but had to take a phone call from a V.I.P. AKA my aunt who is 93 !! and I guess I was timed out on the site and my post went " Poof " Guess I should have posted it and then came back ? Oh well

So here are the pictures lesson learned 1.Air pressure 2.Must work on getting a thinner line 3. It's all trial and error.

This set of pictures shows you what not to do, and by the way I really really hate my CoolPic !!!

Now we are getting there not there yet but all in good time on the excavator I went more for shading and I like it better then the last time out.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

K, While washing my new knife I cut myself pretty bad between the fore finger and thumb on my right hand, Yeah I should have gone to the ER but I have the right stuff at home so I took care of it myself. I'm going to give it about a week before trying to airbrush, even now it's a pain but I'll just rough it out. So take care and I'll be back with painted models in about a week or so.

8)

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Probably ought to be more careful there!

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

StarCruiser wrote:Probably ought to be more careful there!
Funny thing is that is what the wife said, I'm pulling the staples out in the morning then give it a few more days looks great.

8)