Whats wrong with N-scale models

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to N Scale models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

tedg

Whats wrong with N-scale models

Post by tedg »

I have a question or perhaps a suggestion. Why are there no new n-scale models available? GHQ makes fantastic miniatures, however there are hardly any new models to be had. Even some of the beter models have been taken out of production for some reason. I am fairly certain that there are a number of n-scale modellers that would love to see soem new models or reintroduction of older ones. I'm from Europe but I still use GHQ models on my layout and would like to add some more. It also seems quite quiet om the forum so am wondering whats going on.

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Sadly - too many people seem to be too lazy to build a mini of a car or the like when they can buy one already assembled and painted...

Really sad, considering the quality of GHQ's kits.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

tedg

Post by tedg »

Probably right. Still there shoul be more people out there that really enjoy GHQ mini's just wondering if new models would stimulate people to buy. Also it seems pretty quiet on the formun. Havn't seen anything from Nmanica in a while.

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

NManiac has been having some health issues for a while now.

I hope he's fine but, I haven't heard anything in months.

It would be nice to see more activity here - maybe those of us that still check should start trying to ... stimulate the board a bit.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

MichaelD

Post by MichaelD »

I know I'd buy quite a bit of GHQ, if they made more late 50's to late 60's vehicles. I'd especially like to see automobiles (vs trucks). Particularly 4-dr sedans & station wagons. There are very few, if any, of those available. And practically none from the 60's.

I never understood why companies make cars like Ferraris and Porsches for model railroading. I mean, most model railroaders are going for realism. And they just aren't that many Porsches, and even fewer Ferraris, on the road. I see lots of Chevy's, Fords, and Dodges, however. And back in the 60's... way more sedans & wagons than 2-dr hardtops.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Michael, I think a lot is that people now a days are a " Shake The Box " type of modeler,they just want it now and want to put little or no time into it,which is good for them if they like it that way.The other reason is supply and demand that being very heavy on the demand side, with all the time in R&D making molds and only to find out no one really wants that model or style the company is now stuck.

I wish there was a lot more heavy equipment but there is only so much so I just throw the modelers license down and start chopping, bashing till I get the rig I want, But yes your right guess there is only so much the market can handle.

N
"Anyone can model prototypically,it takes a genius to model What If".

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Yep - the term is "dying art"...

There are a few companies making good N-scale kits (and HO, etc...). Obviously GHQ, but CinC still makes some and so does Showcase minis.

There's not a lot of reason to develop new kits when sales are so weak. Woodland Scenics - for example - has some metal vehicle kits as well, only in HO-scale. They have used some of those as guidelines or prototypes for their plastic Autoscenes line.

Some of us still like to "roll our own" so to speak and you just about have to grab what you can find and scratch/bash the rest.

MichaelD

Post by MichaelD »

I understand about "shake the box" modelers. Seems everything these days has to "ready-to-run". Maybe that's good, maybe not. I 'spose it does allow more time for actual layout building. The quality of the layouts sure do seem to have gotten much better over the last 20, or so, years.

And there is the fact that N scale is a relatively small market. Then, to dilute it even more, you break it down to the different eras. Makes it hard for a manufacturer to recoup their investment. Let alone make a profit. Structures, that can span (pun intended) decades, are different than vehicles. Which are more era specific.

Plus I sometimes get the feeling I'm the only N-scaler on earth who's modeling the mid/late 1960's. So I realize there's not much profit potential in making 1965 Rambler station wagons. But I can't help bemoaning that truth. (sigh)

On the upside... there are a couple people making N-scale cars, from the 60's, over at Shapeways. I bought a couple of them a few weeks ago, to check the accuracy and detail, and am quite please. They're not cheap. But not THAT expensive, either. And, since they are one-piece "castings", painting them might be hard for me. (my weakest link) But still, they are what I've looking for.

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

For sure you hit the nail dead center I hear you load and clear, Been looking at Shape ways also but I need to find models with the wheels casted on them it would be a bear tricking it out which brings me back to GHQ, I love it that on the older kits you had to add the detail parts on some of the newer ones the detail parts are molded on but I just hand paint the parts once I'm done air brushing and yes N scale is still the " Lost Child " of the model railroad world and I like being " Lost "

N

MichaelD

Post by MichaelD »

Wait, I'm confused... (Not that confusing me takes any special talent)

You want casting with, or without, the wheels on them? Hard to "trick" them out, with the wheels cast on... I would think. But if that's what you want, the Shapeways cars do have them cast in place.

Check out "Mad About Cars" at: http://www.shapeways.com/designer/rapidpro

nmanica
E5

Post by nmanica »

Ok not enough coffee yet, I prefer casting without wheels on them so I can paint the entire frame without having to go back and touch them up. when I paint tires I airbrush the rims then hand paint the tire and if it's mounted on the frame its a pain in the butt.

I did find one guy on shapeways where the tires are on a fret and not the frames I'll go check out the link thanks.

N

MichaelD

Post by MichaelD »

That's what I figured you meant. Just thought I'd check to be sure. ('cause, strange as it may seem... I have been known to assume incorrectly, more than once, in the past) :lol: