Micronaut Only Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Hi Mickel, all the books are in Italian. Some have English captions, but the photos are great. You can't go wrong with any of the books I listed.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

Thank you. I look forward to checking out some of your scans.

Sorry Mickel, I missed the extra scan of BB Cesare on the following page that regia-marina posted.

I painted my Cesare in the early 1942 camo scheme and my BB Cavour in standard Matt Light Grey overall.

I am also including a few pictures of some French BBs for Mickel. I took the photos from a game I played at Historicon this year, which was sponsored by GHQ. I thought they were pretty nice paint jobs.

Here they are:

Enjoy!

Scott

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

It's great to see your French ships. You did a very good job on them. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

regia-marina,

I wish I could say these were ships that I painted, but I can't. These were some painted ships that I photographed up at Historicon, when I was up in Lancaster in late July of this year.

I was one of the French players in the Mers-el-Kebir (July, 1940) game against the British. GHQ was play testing their new WWII naval game and we really had a good time. The game rules are almost ready, but they still had a few kinks to iron out before the release date (expected sometime late next year).

I also took some photos of the French destroyers and the two Dunkerque battlecruisers.

I will try to post more photos later on. I will also try to remember to post some painted ships that the folks from GHQ had on display (I believe Jim Moffet painted all of them).

I'll check back later...

Scott

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Here are some photos I took at this year's Historicon convention in Lancaster, PA.

The photos are of 1:2400 scale ships that were on display at GHQ's dealer area. Sorry that the photos are not the best.

I believe Jim Moffet at GHQ painted most of these models, but I'm not 100 percent sure. All of the GHQ folks were very friendly and they definitely put out terrific models. :D

Scott

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thanks ww2navyguy for posting the photos. It's always great to see other peoples work. I look forward to seeing more photos soon on this thread. By the way, I haven't forgotten about the camo schemes. I'm still waiting for my book to arrive from Italy. Cheers!

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Anyone know of any manufacturers that make the RN Fearless class LPD in 1/2400?

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

VonTed

Post by VonTed »

Are there merchant ships available in 1/2400? Everything I've run across is only warships.....

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Von Ted,

Yes there are merchant ships available. Look for Viking Forge (I think). As I understand it they are the N. American distributor for Sea Battle 1/2400 scale ships. Sea Battle minis are made by a gentleman in Austria and cover a wide range of periods and navies including merchant ships and ocean liners. Sea Battle has the best selection of US ships that fall between WWII and 1980 or so.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

LAX_Kev

1/2400 Merchant Ships

Post by LAX_Kev »

Von Ted -
I second what Paul has said - your best selection of WW2 merchant ships is thru Viking Forge (do a google on "Viking Forge" and "2400"). The detail on these varies from almost as good as GHQ to merely "Fair". The folks at PFC-CinC have a handfull of non-military ships in 1/2400 also, mainly US cargo ships and some tankers/oilers. ALNAVCO may have a few modern (Cold War era) merchant ships in their Superior 1/2400 line (a couple of break bulk cargo ships, a container ship, and a very big & expensive supertanker), although they are not always available. Lastly, you can get some 2400-scale generic ships (which will lack a lot of detail!) in resin from Panzerschiffe for the WW1 and WW2 periods.
Even GHQ has a small handful (I think 5) of WW2 era merchant ships in 1/2400 - a US Liberty Ship, a British freighter (MV Gran), a Japanese Cargo Maru, the German tanker Altmarck, and of course, the liner/troop ship Queen Mary. Beyond those 5 though, you'll have to look at products from the other guys.
Good Hunting!
Kevin

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Re: merchant ships

Check out the specials that GHQ had just posted. Thar she blows, matey! Get her w' tanks and trucks bedecked, while ye may!
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Hylander6

Post by Hylander6 »

Hello,
I'm new to the discussion board, but an old hand at collecting GHQ. I like gaming in the PTO, Is there any news of GHQ doing the CL Kuma? I have wanted to do some of the battles around Attu and Kiska. I know that the IJN Tama and Kuma were active up there.

Ships I would like to see:

Kuma Class Light Crusiers
Shinano Class Aircraft Carrier
Amagi Class Aircraft Carrier
Oyodo Class Command Crusier
Kashii Class Training Crusiers

One of the requests I saw posted can be easily converted.
Gneisenau can be produced by severing the mainmast and relocting it atop the hanger. A simple fix until GHQ brings forth the accual ship model

nuts4ships

Model photos from Historicon '06

Post by nuts4ships »

The French ships in the photos from Historicon '06 were painted by Mark lundberg, a great guy from Albany, NY. He sells many painted 1/2400 scale stuff on E-Bay. His seller name is - leopold21558. He is quite good. He also does "painting for hire", for those interested. He is is quick and very reasonable in pricing. I use him a lot to get ready for convention games.

Oh yeah, I am one of folks writing the GHQ naval rules. It's coming along pretty well, the surface engagement stuff is just about in the can. We are playtesting the hell out of them. The Air, subs, and ASW are next to work out. I'll keep you posted.

Regia Marina - Your Italian ships are amazing! Great job.
Russ Jensen - Salt Lake City
Co-Author of Micronauts: The Game

nuts4ships

Re: Model photos from Historicon '06

Post by nuts4ships »

{quote} Oh yeah, I am one of folks writing the GHQ naval rules. It's coming along pretty well, the surface engagement stuff is just about in the can. We are playtesting the hell out of them. The Air, subs, and ASW are next to work out. I'll keep you posted.

Regia Marina - Your Italian ships are amazing! Great job.[/quote]

Good news the rules are coming along - I really can't wait!

Grant[/quote]

Neither can we, Grant!

Jim Moffet has been cracking the whip at getting these done by year end, and we should meet that deadline.

It has been an ongoing project for about 3 1/2 years. With a lot of play testing and research done, so as to knot put of an inferior product, but to attain the high quality demanded by GHQ's customers (I'll get off my soapbox now).
Russ Jensen - Salt Lake City
Co-Author of Micronauts: The Game

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Russ (aka nuts4ships),

Howdy! I was one of the French players in your Mers-el-Kabir game at this year's Historicon in Lancaster PA.

My friend Tony and I really enjoyed playing the French and we are really looking forward to the release of the rules too.

I just returned from our HMGS-South Hurricon Convention, which was held in Olando this past weekend. There were several people there that were play testing the new "Flagship" rules. The turn-out to play was extremely good! :D

The rules were very well received by all who played. Kudos to you and everyone working on these rules. I hope to be the first in securing a copy as soon as they are released for purchasing. :D

We have another convention called Recon coming up in late April, again held in Orlando Florida. The folks at HMGS-South really put on a great convention, probably the best of all that I have attended. And now that the convention has moved to Orlando, the entire family can take a break and visit Disney World, Universal Studios and Sea World theme parks too. In fact, the Holiday Inn Convention Center has even allowed families to book three extra days before the convention and after the convention dates with the same hotel convention room rates! That way the family can hit the attractions before or after the convention and not interfere with family members that want to play or run games. That's big savings on the hotel costs! And the convention center is just a few miles from all of these theme parks too! And tons of great restaurants all within walking distance! :D

Here is the HMGS-South website...please click over and check'em out:

http://hmgs-south.com/

We really could use a few more naval game game masters at our conventions to meet our demand. :D

Thanks!

Scott