Micro Armour the Game Basing

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

srcurrie

Micro Armour the Game Basing

Post by srcurrie »

Hi everyone.
I have just ordered the WWII ruleset. I am waiting impatiently to receive it. I have 20 years of Micro Armour to rebase.
Can anyone tell me he basing for the rules? I know vehicles are based 1"x1". Does that include Kettenkrads and other Motercycle & Bicycle troops? What about Cavalry and Infantry?

Sorry. I am too impatient to wait for the rules!

Thanks ahead of time.

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

I am not familiar with the rules set you are using... many on here either base or do not base...its a preference of choice...so it might be best to wait on those new rules so you can accurately make your force bases if you choose?

thanks
Ar

Daryl _L_Nichols_Jr

Post by Daryl _L_Nichols_Jr »

The game recommends 1" x 1" bases for all units.

I personally like the stands because you can turn them into mini dioramas. My HQ units have a couple soldiers, dispatch motorcycle and a kubelwagen for example.

I would also recommend numbering the stands. It makes it easier to identify units and designate command vehicles.

Have fun with your basing!
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Microforce: The Game-American Civil War

srcurrie

Post by srcurrie »

Thanks for the info. 1x1 for all even infanry? Wow.
I can see the advantage to make dioramas on the base. I have large amounts of Kubelwagens and the like to put on HQ bases. Sounds neat.
Anyone know of any reviews of Micro Armour the Game: WWII?

srcurrie

Post by srcurrie »

Thanks for the info. 1x1 for all even infanry? Wow.
I can see the advantage to make dioramas on the base. I have large amounts of Kubelwagens and the like to put on HQ bases. Sounds neat.
Anyone know of any reviews of Micro Armour the Game: WWII?

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...I've been attaching my turrets to the hulls using Magnets (Thread ; temporary basing and rotating turrets).Now, whats really nice is that if you add another magnet to the one that is attaching the turret, you can attach a metal base,even one that is flocked with this system. And yes the turret still rotates (even easier for some reason),and the base stays because the magnets are really strong. So with this system you may use no bases,small ones like I use in "Panzertruppen" or even larger bases such as the GHQ games or others...
As for the infantry,mine are deployed on 1/2"X1/2" and 3/4"X3/4" metal bases. If I need to make them up to an inch ,then I take a 1"X1" vinyl magnet square,spray painted earthtone,with any other info on it ,and just plop the troop base onto it...
...and yes I need to get a life :lol:
John

srcurrie

Post by srcurrie »

Hmm...
So then in MicroArmour the Game:WWII how are towed guns supposed to be depicted? Previosly I always had a towed and an untowed version made up on bases.
Also how about depicting infantry riders? Russians have to ride tanks out of necessity. Are you jus recording the base numbers as riders on such and such a tank platoon?

The magnet idea is interesting.

srcurrie

Post by srcurrie »

Can someone post a pic of their Infantry basing and how they depit towed/untowed guns in MicroArmous the Gane: WWII?
Thanks

chriskrum

Post by chriskrum »

Your bases can be longer, if you wish to do limbered models. What I did for Spearhead 1 1/4 square bases, was put the limbered version of the gun on one stand and the towing vehicle on another stand, then I could just back them up to each other to show the that it was being towed. For targeting purposes we treated the towing vehicle as the actual location. I did this with larger guns. With smaller guns, Russian 45mm AT and tractor I put them on one base and made two versions: towed and deployed. Micro armor is cheap enough that this is a practical option.

The models look much better based (I think). And they're easier to handle.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

srcurrie wrote:Hmm...
So then in MicroArmour the Game:WWII how are towed guns supposed to be depicted? Previosly I always had a towed and an untowed version made up on bases.
Also how about depicting infantry riders? Russians have to ride tanks out of necessity. Are you jus recording the base numbers as riders on such and such a tank platoon?

The magnet idea is interesting.
...for the AT guns I usually just have them mounted on my 3/4"X3/4" metal base. If it needs to be in the the movement posture then put the tow vehicle at the rear of the base as if being towed.
After flocking thwe base I uaually print out an id tag with an individual number,usually 3 or 4 digit,and paste it right on the flocked base in a lower corner. In this fashion you can tell what platoon and company its from.
As I mentioned I can convert to just about any rule system, with minimum conversions.
As for tank riders there is a company that has groups of 5 Soviet riders that sit very neat on the back decks of tanks.This company is from England. Some individuals may get uptight about mentioning such proper names so I won't. All I can say is that I used to think they had big heads...
Check out thunders site
John

srcurrie

Post by srcurrie »

I might do chrikrum's suggestion. I ave American towed AT guns that have trucks as transport that I can try.
There are so many trade-offs. If I base the figures then certain terrain gets hard to use like 1:285 scale bridges.
I would love to do an Arnhem campaign or Bulge or maybe Normandy. Is 1"x1" a hard and fast rule or are they permitted to be longer?
My collection actually has a lot of russian infantry. How many figures per base?

chriskrum

Post by chriskrum »

For tank riders you can always base some infantry on the stand with the tank. Once the shooting starts this is where they'd be anyway--around the tank in support. That other company does make tank riders--and they do have big heads.

Of course their Russians don't carry AK-47s (sorry Tokarev rifles with 30 round bannana clips...)

Maybe GHQ could do some more infantry? I'd love tank comanders for my T-34s, tank riders, and Russian motorcycle troops.

Then I'd never have to look at big headed figure again or the blobs of lead produced by another overseas company.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

chriskrum wrote:... That other company does make tank riders--and they do have big heads. ..
...Then I'd never have to look at big headed figure again or the blobs of lead produced by another overseas company.
...I used to feel the same way,Until I had an opportunity to paint a company of Whermacht Infantry. The detail is great web gear, weapons,uniform ,helmuts,and the poses are excellent. The detail is as good as any 15mms or better in some cases. The packaging comes in TO&E friendly units on a 1 to 1 scale (YAAAaa). The gun crews are made to fit GHQ sized Micro armour(I will post some pics of the 76 IG and 45 ATGs) later.
Now,as for the heads they are large,and larger than the GHQ and other company. This is because these figures are actually 6.5mm from head to boots. This doesn't count the molded base that each individual is on. So when you put them next to a GHQ or other (5mm) fig,they do look large. The heads are IN scale to the rest of the body and do look great.
It took me a long time to use GHQ figures because the new individual ones are larger scale than the vehicles. We had a long going on thread about that last year. Eventually I was convinced by most of you here that this was the way to go. So I don't buy the Uncle Ben's "converted" rice anymore. This was mainly decided because of the detail of the GHQ figs,web gear,weapons are definitely identified,poses were not too bad. Now I am also talking about the MODERN line of figs. Only my moderns use the GHQ figs. I will not use the WWII. If I want Soviet infantry I need RIFLES,and I don't need every 5th man to be a commisar or officer. The WWII packaging is diobolical,and very cost ineffective if you need to do 1 to 1 scale. The poses also are really something that needs to be seriously redone.
Any ways needless to say my WWII infantry will now be the big heads,but nice poses,acurate weapons,web gear,etc,etc,...
John

srcurrie

d

Post by srcurrie »

Well, much of my GHQ is from the 1984-1985 period when I was in he US Army. That means that this large amount of Russian infantry that I have is GHQ'sold infantry. If any of you have seen it the detail was minimal. You could tell the difference between rifle and smg and a wheeled MMG but mostly you added detail with paint.
The new GHQ infantry are MUCH better.
My brother likes Russian front so I am going to rebase the infantry too. For the Russians I mainly only have infantry and T34 1941 model I believe.
If even infantry are on 1"x1" bases then how many to mount on each. Are MGs seperate?

Daryl _L_Nichols_Jr

Post by Daryl _L_Nichols_Jr »

My infantry stands have 5 figures on the 1" x 1" bases. I have experimented with other numbers but 5 seems to look more realistic.

MGs I generally mount 2 MGs to a stand.

Cavalry I mount 3 to a stand.

The number of infantry figures on the stand don't effect play so I tend make my stands into mini dioramas. I add small rocks, brush etc to my stands.

---Daryl
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Microforce: The Game-American Civil War