Canadians Discussion Thread - Modern

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

ferret701
E5

Post by ferret701 »

Hi guys --

Just saw this thread. Hopefully by the end of next month I'll have my 1980s 4th Mechanized Brigade Group and 5th Groupe-Brigade Mechanique (I think that's the correct name) completed (organized for FFT/Combined Arms). Currently, I have shots of a number of models on my site (www.microarmormayhem.com).

Here's a link to my Canadians page:

http://www.microarmormayhem.com/Units_Canadian.html

These are my LeoC1s with

The decals are from GHQ -- they come in a pack with the German modern crosses, and are very nice, but a bit tricky as they are two piece.

When I get the project done, I'll post a shot of the Brigade elements, as I did with the Belgians.

Pat Callahan

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

I like how your Leo's look...can I ask what color you used for them. Mine I used Tamiya's NATO Green.

I too have some Cougars as well as M113 and M150 TOWs. Great pic and pics on your site. :D
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

WHM
E5

Post by WHM »

I created Canadian units due to the book First Clash written in 1984 if I recall correctly. Lots of pictures of Canadian armor and infantry with their FN rifles and U.S. helmets.

For M-113s I used the ACAV track. Not accurate but I thought a more practicle vehicle. I figured what the hell, this is not a history lesson and decided to exercise my fantasy instead.

I also have some Cougars and Grizzlys from the other guys with the thought of giving the units more of a "Canadian" look. Think I have them somewhere unpainted, along w/two Kiowas for 444 Squadron.

Did find some Panzer Kanons at the time and painted them at the same time w/the idea they became lost so have thrown in w/the Canadians.

Infantry is the modern U.S., but some day, maybe, I'll get some Vietnam U.S. infantry and use them.

No decals though, seem to fiddly.

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

Infantry is the modern U.S., but some day, maybe, I'll get some Vietnam U.S. infantry and use them.
I never thought of using Vietnam US for Canadians. I could see using them for my future Israeli force, but not Canadians. You have peaked my interest here. :wink:
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

ferret701
E5

Post by ferret701 »

[quote="dougeagle"]I like how your Leo's look...can I ask what color you used for them. Mine I used Tamiya's NATO Green.

I too have some Cougars as well as M113 and M150 TOWs. Great pic and pics on your site. :D[/quote]

Hi Doug --

I used (I think) one of the PollyS US Olive Drabs (don't have the number -- its worn off the bottle!) its one of the greener ones, drybrushed with PollyS Armor Sand to lighten it up.

Pat Callahan

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

dougeagle wrote:If we call the 1 series the C1 and the upgraded version C2, will it be called the C3?
It might be of interest...
You can download a computer game called SPMBT (Steel Panthers Series) for free - I did it last weekend. As I was preparing a multinational force yesterday evening, I came across Canada and in this game the Canadian Leo 2s are called C3.
It's just a game but I bet there must have been a source for that desigantion.

Cheers Ben

Doug B

Post by Doug B »

The Canadian Forces website lists it as the Leopard 2A6M http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English ... et=2&cat=1

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

Trying to find out what infantry carrier was used by Canada in 1960's to go with my Centurions. And I'm also curious as too why Canada went with the Leopard 1 later on?
Was it because the Centurion was not what the Army wanted at the time?
Doug

Bruce Lee

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Has Canada bought anymore new stuff? How have the Leopard 2A6 faired overseas?
Any new pics for the Canadians? Thank you

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

chrisswim wrote:Has Canada bought anymore new stuff? How have the Leopard 2A6 faired overseas?
Any new pics for the Canadians? Thank you
Don't quote me on this, but from what I understand is the 2A6M's that were being leased from Germany did pretty good. If I remember correctly, I think 1 hit an IED and wrote the tank off and the crew survived. Now, those 2A6M's are now part of the Canadian forces...but like I said...don't quote me on that as I can't seem to find the site that has it :(
Doug

Bruce Lee

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Now were have Leopard 2A6M Can, and the ADATS for Canada, CAMA, you gotta love this....
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Cama,
I have spray painted 2 companies dark tan, plan to put some other mud/tans, etc on bottom and the skirt.
I have some on olive drab which isone color I use for Canadians (among dark green, & 3-tone NATO), I may use these also for German tanks.

I have not yet tried one I saw on auction: 3-tone NATO and paint the skirts tan, as if they were applied after fly into theater.

Any great ideas from you? I do have unpainted Leopard 2A6M Can, so I can try some other paint scheme. When I was at Historicon, GHQ was there, I finished buying whatever they had in Leopard 2A6M, it was about 17-18 packs if I remember correctly, so I can do something different.
Thank you for your perspective.
Chris
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Cama,
Thank you for your perspective.

The camo netting, is that just on top or also drapped over the skirts? What about the tan covers, explaing please.
Thank you Chris
Chris

whoa Mohamed
E5

Post by whoa Mohamed »

Are you referring to the Barracuda over covers ? if so that's going to be hard but not impossible you would have to cut it and apply it just like they do in real life...The barracuda BTW significantly reduces the thermal signature..I thought it was to help keep the temp down in the Victor lol that's what I get for thinking hey they finally did something for the crew lol....The Danes used the stuff on their 2A5 Imp and still use it on both the CV90 series and stretched M113 DAKs....Mikey
every man for all mens rights
all men for every mans rights

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Cama, new pics yet. Hope your holiday was 'good'.
Chris