Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: GHQ, dnichols, Mk 1

Post Reply
busboy
E5
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 am

Post by busboy »

Tanner, your work is utterly superb. It honestly is museum quality, probably better.
-busboy

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

First off....
Sheesh, every time I see your work, my jaw drops! You set the bar for naval miniatures!

Hopefully, mine might be a tiny fraction as good!

Image
A recon unit probes forward, supported by a Sherman.

Image
They don't like what they see!

Image
Support is called in!

All of the U.S. units are from the U.S. Armored Infantry Command 1944.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

DRPgeneral
E5
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 am
Location: Texas

Post by DRPgeneral »

Do you guys know the current code to buy stuff? I recieved some code in my last order, but left it back in Mcallen, im in Mexico right now

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

Completely blanked, didn't see your question, Tanner.
Anyway, I use a mixture of Woodland Scenics light green, dark green, and brown turfs. Hope it helps!
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Quartette
E5
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Quartette »

Panzer Commander wrote:Completely blanked, didn't see your question, Tanner.
Anyway, I use a mixture of Woodland Scenics light green, dark green, and brown turfs. Hope it helps!
I assume the hedges are also woodland scenics? If so what pack are they? I consistently seem to buy the wrong size...
Cave Ab Homine Unius Libri

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

The brand is Woodland Scenics, yes. The material I use for the hedges is from a tree pack. I've never tried the regular packages.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

pvt64
E5
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Ballston Lake, NY

More 1/300 Scale WWII Planes

Post by pvt64 »

US PBY early 1942

Image

Image

Image

Image

Dutch A-29 Hudson

Image

Image

Image

Image

Dutch PBY

Image

Image

Image

Image

FAA Albacore

Image

Image

Image

Image

Begemot
E5
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 am

Recent Work

Post by Begemot »

Gentlemen,

It's been a while since I posted any of my stuff, so here are some photos of my recent efforts.

The new T-62:

Image

Image

The older BRDM:

Image

WW2 American - M4A3 Sherman:

Image

Image

GMC 2 1/2 Ton truck:

Image

Image

And some German stuff:

Image

Image

Image

These are all brush painted from beginning to end, using artists' tube oils.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

RedLeif
E5
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:11 am
Location: Boise, ID
Contact:

Post by RedLeif »

Nice modern and WW II models Begemot. Your colors, detailing and camo look great.

Nice work on the airplanes too Pvt64.

Thank you both for sharing your work here.

dougeagle
E5
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Northern Alberta

Post by dougeagle »

I agree with cama...what tubes did you use...those are Sweeeeeet!!!! :D
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

pmskaar
E5
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:45 am

Show Us Your Stuff

Post by pmskaar »

Begemot

That is really excellent work on all those pieces. The drivers for the jeep and the truck almost look like real people that have been shrunken down to fit.
Great job on the German camo as well. It is not always easy to pull it off and make it look good but you have certainly done that.

Pete - Binpicker, Out!

Mk 1
E5
Posts: 2383
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:21 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Post by Mk 1 »

Begemot:

Agree with the others. Great stuff!

I am always particularly impressed when care is taken on the trucks and jeeps and other support vehicles. I mean, making a big tank look good is one thing, but making a truck look like a prized piece ?!? Now THAT is a star performance.

In particular I like how you have managed the tarps on the trucks. Subtle differences in color from the vehicles themselves, as if they started at about the same color, but being canvas they weathered, got dirty, and faded at different rates vs. the metal. It gives them so much character.

Oh, and they look good too! :wink:
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Begemot
E5
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 am

Post by Begemot »

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. It's much appreciated.

Dougeagle - you asked what oils I used. This is the palette:

Titanium White
Ivory Black
Burnt Umber
Burnt Sienna
Ultramarine Blue
Yellow Ochre
Cadmium Red Light
Cadmium Yellow Pale

So I mix these to get the colors that I want. Olive Drab is black + yellow ochre; Dunkelgelb is cad yellow pale + white + cad red light + ultramarine blue; and the Russian green is ultramarine blue + yellow ochre + burnt umber + white. I mix until it looks right.

I use a medium to thin down the oils so I don't get brush marks when the paint dries. It does mean several coats can be required. The base colors on these vehicles took three coats.

Why oils? I like the challenge of mixing up the colors. I like the extended working time of oils so I don't feel rushed. The extended drying time allows for mixing colors on the model if desired. The tarp on the deuce-and-a-half is an example of this technique.
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Mk 1
E5
Posts: 2383
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:21 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Post by Mk 1 »

PING!

Yeah, I know we don't actually need to do pings to keep threads around ... but having this one drop off of the front page is just ... well it just ain't happening!
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

ferret701
E5
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:14 pm
Location: Northern Virginia
Contact:

Post by ferret701 »

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I've just done a big update on my website (www.microarmormayhem.com), with pretty much all Soviets, both WWII and modern. Here are some of the more interesting:

JSU-122
Image

Image

Zis42 Half Track Prime Mover
Image

ZiS Trucks
Image

Pat Callahan

Post Reply