GHQ M60A2s
Moderators: GHQ, dnichols, Mk 1
-
Extra Crispy
- E5
- Posts: 992
- Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:56 pm
- Location: Edgewater, NJ
- Contact:
-
tbeard1999
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:07 pm
- Location: Texas
-
av8rmongo
- E5
- Posts: 1637
- Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:24 pm
- Location: Newport, RI
- Contact:
Thanks for reminding me I owed you a response. My initial check of inventory shows I'm one short of having a full company myself. The box says I should have 17 but there are only 11 primed. Another box has five unpainted tanks. I'm going to have to expand the search to see if they somehow got mixed up with other boxes.
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€
― George Orwell, 1984
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell
http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com
― George Orwell, 1984
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell
http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com
-
copperhill
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 am
- Location: St. Francisville, LA
Panzergator thanks for all the information you've been sharing about your experiences, and the details of the machinery; fascinating and useful info for sure!
And a quick shout out to Ty Beard the master of military rules and purveyor of all things micro armor...
Gary
And a quick shout out to Ty Beard the master of military rules and purveyor of all things micro armor...
Gary
It's 2026, let's focus on completing projects!
-
copperhill
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 am
- Location: St. Francisville, LA
-
panzergator
- E5
- Posts: 3693
- Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 am
GHQ M60A2
I would heartily second the of M60A2 turrets. The GHQ model is far superior to the "other company's" product. I have examples of both and it is no contest. I did have a conversation about this with GHQ a while back and the answer wasn't favorable.
-
panzergator
- E5
- Posts: 3693
- Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 am
Extra Crispy,
Regarding the beauty of the tank, I would heartily disagree, although I have heard it described in a litany of epithets for other reasons. I find the no-BS, business-like appearance rather attractive and intimidating. It had some really nice features, such as the first passive night vision system, the target-designate system, which allowed me to lay the .50cal on the target, then flip a switch to lay the gun automatically. The low-profile turret, of course, doesn't really apply to the overall height, although it did allow me to just peak over a terrain feature with only my cupola sight rather than expose the whole turret. The shape of the turret presented a very narrow frontal picture to the enemy. The short barrel meant I could traverse the turret better in forests and in the city. The 152mm round was very good for combat in cities. The power cupola was very convenient. The ideas were good, but the tech behind it all needed work. A LOT of work. Being a tanker,
Regarding the beauty of the tank, I would heartily disagree, although I have heard it described in a litany of epithets for other reasons. I find the no-BS, business-like appearance rather attractive and intimidating. It had some really nice features, such as the first passive night vision system, the target-designate system, which allowed me to lay the .50cal on the target, then flip a switch to lay the gun automatically. The low-profile turret, of course, doesn't really apply to the overall height, although it did allow me to just peak over a terrain feature with only my cupola sight rather than expose the whole turret. The shape of the turret presented a very narrow frontal picture to the enemy. The short barrel meant I could traverse the turret better in forests and in the city. The 152mm round was very good for combat in cities. The power cupola was very convenient. The ideas were good, but the tech behind it all needed work. A LOT of work. Being a tanker,
-
RedLeif
- E5
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:11 am
- Location: Boise, ID
- Contact:
-
Steel Arrows
- E5
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 pm
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVa4EC6HLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogazmzhj55k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2TL9kt3eyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogazmzhj55k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2TL9kt3eyY
----------------
"On The Way!!!!"
"On The Way!!!!"
-
panzergator
- E5
- Posts: 3693
- Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 am
I'm still looking for GHQ M60A2s. My battalion has a company of GHQ models, supplemented by two companies of the "other company's" models. I would like to replace the "others" with the GHQ model, and even build another battalion.
M60A2 units were organized under H-series TOE - five tanks per platoon, three platoons, plus two in the company headquarters, for a total of 17 per company, three companies, and three tanks in the battalion headquarters, for a total of 54. I still need 37 M60A2s to complete my 1-32 Armor. And I would like to assemble a 3-33 Armor, as well.
An incidental bit of information, if memory serves (and it doesn't always), is that officers assigned to 3-33 Armor wore the original tank corps insignia rather than the tank and crossed sabers all other Armor officers war. The original US tank corps insignia, which dated from WWI, was the British MKIV tank. This insignia served through most of WWII, I believe. It could also be seen, with crossed rifles superimposed, on armored infantry. 3-33 Armor traces its lineage (a very difficult thing to do, what with all the reorganizations over the years) back to one of those WWI tank units. Someone with greater knowledge or more accurate memory is welcome to chime in.
M60A2 units were organized under H-series TOE - five tanks per platoon, three platoons, plus two in the company headquarters, for a total of 17 per company, three companies, and three tanks in the battalion headquarters, for a total of 54. I still need 37 M60A2s to complete my 1-32 Armor. And I would like to assemble a 3-33 Armor, as well.
An incidental bit of information, if memory serves (and it doesn't always), is that officers assigned to 3-33 Armor wore the original tank corps insignia rather than the tank and crossed sabers all other Armor officers war. The original US tank corps insignia, which dated from WWI, was the British MKIV tank. This insignia served through most of WWII, I believe. It could also be seen, with crossed rifles superimposed, on armored infantry. 3-33 Armor traces its lineage (a very difficult thing to do, what with all the reorganizations over the years) back to one of those WWI tank units. Someone with greater knowledge or more accurate memory is welcome to chime in.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.
-
chrisswim
- E5
- Posts: 7603
- Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:22 pm
- Location: Jacksonville, FL
M60A2
I have two, count 'em, 2 M60A2 by GHQ.
I am ready to close with the enemy. I have a couple of CinC as I recall.
They are surplus currently. Or I can off the GHQ turrets or turrets and hulls.
CinC, turret(s) and hulls.....
Chris
I am ready to close with the enemy. I have a couple of CinC as I recall.
They are surplus currently. Or I can off the GHQ turrets or turrets and hulls.
CinC, turret(s) and hulls.....
Chris
Chris
-
panzergator
- E5
- Posts: 3693
- Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 am
-
pmskaar
- E5
- Posts: 2275
- Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:45 am
M60A2
I was in Germany in 3rd Armored Division in 1981 - 85. My unit was 2/33 Armor and I commanded C Company from June 1983 to November 1984. We were located at Kirchgoens.
We were known as the "Tigers" which I thought was cool with all the association with big cats both real and of the steel variety.
Our sister unit was 3/33 Armor. They were known as the "Pickles". The story goes that their unit crest which was the lozenge shaped WWI British Mk IV tank looked like a pickle to some senior officer. Apparently the name stuck and that became the unit's nickname.
I don't know exactly when the 3/33 Armor lost its M60A2s but it was definitely before I got to Kirchgoens in 1982.
Pete
We were known as the "Tigers" which I thought was cool with all the association with big cats both real and of the steel variety.
Our sister unit was 3/33 Armor. They were known as the "Pickles". The story goes that their unit crest which was the lozenge shaped WWI British Mk IV tank looked like a pickle to some senior officer. Apparently the name stuck and that became the unit's nickname.
I don't know exactly when the 3/33 Armor lost its M60A2s but it was definitely before I got to Kirchgoens in 1982.
Pete