Posting Your Photos to the GHQ Forum

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I just posted a battle report using images uploaded to imageshack. It works similar to PB but it only costs $19 for unlimited images. Test image below:

Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

militumman74

Posting Your Photos to the GHQ Forum

Post by militumman74 »

If you need to resize photos a great free utility is photoed.exe. Used to come with Windows, but I kept a copy because they didn't replace it with anything nearly as capable. Still works up thru Windows 7, but IDK about later.
Militumman

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I’m having problems posting pictures.

I’m definitely doing it right, anyone else having problems?
Well let's see:

(Your link.)

(My link.)

I went directly to your Photobucket link (cut and pasted it into my browser), then re-posted the [ IMG ] string. To do this I had to log in to Photobucket as me.

Seems to have worked for me.

Can't say what you did wrong. My code string looks identical to yours.

But ... caveats apply. This is Photobucket. A year ago they started shutting down free accounts. They got a severely negative reaction, and stopped the process. But who knows, maybe they are starting again.

Also they are updating their website. In particular they are now asking users to download some kind of app for access. I managed to get around it this time, but it may well be part of a re-launched campaign to push out the unpaid and replace with the paid users.

May be they broke something when updating their website. Or you somehow got an error in your string (that I can't see?), or your account is no longer "in good standing", but mine is. Don't know why that might be. I have not transitioned to a paid account, but somehow my account has never stopped working.

Still ... I advise downloading all of your content from Photobucket, and caching it somewhere. Wouldn't want to lose all your pretty pictures if they decide to nix your account.

-Mark
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Hmmm. I'm more convinced that the issue is a Photobucket issue.

From their website FAQ:
"After months of hard work, we are delighted to officially launch the redeveloped Photobucket website. Fresh design, new functionality, and easier to use than ever before! Plus new, low cost subscription packages to better serve amateur photographers, forum and blog owners, and online merchants."

And I'm finding that my login is not actually logging in anymore. I could get to two of my subsidiary albums that I had never made private. But my main bucket, which I did make private, is no longer within my reach, as my login does not seem to be working.

It is entirely possible that their update is a little broken. So we'll see how it goes in the next day or two.

It is also possible they have come upon the plan of continuing to stream out to the links I have already planted on various fora, to avoid the public adverse advertising that comes from big empty spaces with their name appearing on fora all across the internet, while also cutting the remaining free accounts off from their own materials.

We'll see how this goes.
-Mark 1

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Not sure if I am finding my way around them, or they are recompiling and updating their website as fast as I am posting.

I can log in and get to my entire library now. But I can not post to the forum. The old streaming IMG option is no longer present. Now I can download my file, or I can share it, but if I chose to share it I can only share it to Facebook, Google+, Twitter or Pinterest. No general IMG option left, and no link to the URL of the image itself.

Hmmph.

However, it seems I can still find my way around their limitations if I try.
-Mark 1

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I use Imgur.com and it work ok.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Cama,

Nice trucks. Great to see some of your work gracing the site. Can't wait to see more once GHQ gets there forum strait.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

madman
E5

Post by madman »

I am curious if once GHQ is totally on line at their new provider we can post images directly to this site? Well GHQ I am asking. It would solve a lot of OUR issues, but the memory storage needed by you may kill that idea.

I assume we are still in the twilight zone between providers wrt GHQ and this site at this time.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

madman wrote:I am curious if once GHQ is totally on line at their new provider we can post images directly to this site? Well GHQ I am asking. It would solve a lot of OUR issues, but the memory storage needed by you may kill that idea.

I assume we are still in the twilight zone between providers wrt GHQ and this site at this time.
Yeah, I was in the same boat until I bit the bullet. Seems like the days of free storage are going/gone. When PB pulled their little trick on everyone with charging $400/yr for storage, so many forums took hits. Everyone pulled out and is now scrambling to find solution that works for them.

I cant imagine GHQ allowing pics to be uploaded. That would require a bit of storage/maintenance and an additional expense on the business. You could argue more people would participate, the forum activity would go up and arguably sales to GHQ down the road... but...
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

madman
E5

Post by madman »

PolishGI wrote: I cant imagine GHQ allowing pics to be uploaded. That would require a bit of storage/maintenance and an additional expense on the business. You could argue more people would participate, the forum activity would go up and arguably sales to GHQ down the road... but...
Yeah I assumed it would cost more than it would be worth. Still one can hope.

I still am curious where in the transition road we are at, at this point in time.

CG2
E5

Re: Posting Your Photos to the GHQ Forum

Post by CG2 »

You still can't post photos direct to the new site.
CG2

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

GHQ wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:41 pm
Over the years we have had several people ask us how to put photos into their posts on our forum. It is not the most obvious process, but it isn't hard to do. Our forum can only link to photos that are already on the internet, not just on your personal computer. You can link to your own webpage. If you don't have a webpage, there are free websites that store albums of photos, and assign an internet address to each photo. Our web forum then links to the internet (url) address, and your picture appears at the forum.

There are several of these free online gallery services. Among the most user-friendly is:

http://photobucket.com/

click "Join Now" and fill out the form. Once you have an account, you log on using your "User name" and "password" - if you click the "Remember me" button, your computer will remember the password for you.

Follow the instructions to upload your images from your computer to Photobucket.

It will be easiest to get that photos over to the forum if you have the 2 internet sites open at once - Photobucket, and the GHQ Forum.

Now open the GHQ website www.ghqmodels.com
Click any of the buttons to get to Military Models, N scale models, etc.
On the left side, click the "Forums" button
Select your forum, and navigate to where you want to submit a reply and insert your photo.
Click on "Post Reply"
(You do not need to hit the "img" or "url" buttons - ignore them! )

When you are ready to post a picture
return to Photobucket.
Under each photo at Photobucket, there is a box with 4 'addresses' for that photo..
Click on the "IMG Code" button - it will then read "Copied"
Paste this address into GHQ forum box
A whole mess of computer code language will appear in your post - NOT your picture!

Finish preparing the forum post, typing or adding other photos. To see what it will look like, scroll down to the bottom and hit "Preview"

If you like it, great! Hit "Submit" and your post will be on the forum, with your photos! If not, edit your post in the white box, and then "Preview" again.

It sounds like a lot of work, but once you are used to it, it goes very quickly.

As always, thanks for being one of our much-valued registered forum users.

Thank you for your support,
GHQ
So, I decided I should join the 20th Century now that we are about to close out the first 20% of the 21st! Jumped on-line and joined Photobucket, took a test set of pictures of 1-36 Mech's Medical Platoon vehicles, went back to the above and went to drop the code in my already prepared Forum reply and could not get the four addresses to come up as referenced above. Of course you guessed it - a fully paid subscription would cure all of the ills. All I can do with the free version is store photos. Cannot do anything useful though. What is the point then? No idea. If I am spending money it will be on models not on deliberately vindictive overlords. Not even going to get in to the adventure with IMGUR. Some site out there will hopefully be tolerant of people like me! Which alternate universe I do not know. I have not found it yet. :(

Rant done. I will now contemplate wasting what I hope I will be allowed to be a three-day Weekend looking at other sites. Work has, tentatively, agreed that I may have my Weekends back. YEAH! And at least finish putting decals on the 2-67 ARM's and 4-67 ARM's Medical Platoon vehicles. Maybe then I will clear some floor space and lay out at least the Armor and Mech battalions in their entirety and do some photography. It is a recurring thought anyway.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I've been using the imgur websifor several years now with no issues. You just have to pick the corr6link for a forum from the 4 or 5 links provided. I've never done it from a phone though - I always do it from a computer. I'd love to see some of your pics. I hope you can get the photo thing worked out.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I use ‘Imgur.com’ to host my pictures after using photo bucket years ago.
Free, a few ads I have seen.
Good luck.
Chris

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

When I left Botophucket I switched to IMGbb.com. Free hosting, easy interface. Good performance.

No problems so far.

-Mark
-Mark 1