AARs: Show Us Yer Games!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: AARs: Show Us Yer Games!

Post by redleg »

Those are great looking games you guys! I always get excited when I log in and I see MLuther or Polish GI have recently posted to this thread! Your AARs are motivating and inspirational!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

E Troop has a bad day!

Recent hypothetical Middle East Dust up featuring RDF units vs Soviets - Iran maybe in the 80s?

The is a meeting engagement between Red Platoon, Troop E 151st Cavalry - this unit was the Cav Troop for a National Guard Armored Roundout Brigade which would have supported the 101st Air Assault Division. The opposing force is the Soviet 40th Tank Battalion Red Banner.

Red platoon:
Platoon Leader 1 x M113
Mortar section 1 x M106
Scout Section 2 M113, 2 M150
Tank Section. 4 M60A1 Tanks

Mission: Secure the pumping station and then lean forward in the saddle to make contact with any enemy forces in sector.

40th Tank Battalion:
HQ 1 x T72, 1 x BMP, 1 x SA-9, 1 ZSU 23-4, 1 Gaz 66
3 x Tank Companies each with 10 T 72 tanks
1 x MRC with 12 BMP 2
1 Combat Recon Platoon with 1 T72, 3 BMP 2.

Mission: Secure the pumping station and continue the attack though Al Amok Pass (off the map)

The battlefield with the pumping station in the center.

Elements of E Troop enter from the bottom, Soviets enter from the top.

Red Platoon enters in column

CRP enters

Red Platoon splits his unit into three sections, two each with a M113, M150 and 2 M60s to secure the flanks of the pumping station and the command track and mortar track to occupy the pumping station.

CRP comes on line and advances toward their objective, but the Cav is first on the draw, killing 2 BPMs

The remaining BMP and T72 return fire from a short halt with an AT5 and 125mm APFSDS knocking out two of the M60s.

The remaining M60s finish off the recon patrol.

Knowing the Advance Guard Company will arrive shortly, the E Troop Platoon Leader cross levels his remaining M60s between the remaining scouts.

And right on cue.

The Advance Guard goes line abreast and attacks at full speed.

Followed by the MRC.

E Troop is now in the fight of their lives and kills a platoon of T72s

But again firing from a short halt the T72s begin to kill the scouts and M60s.

Down to 1 M60 and 1 M113 the Cav is forced to withdraw, leaving the pumping station to the Soviets.

Troop E did indeed have a bad day!
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's an awesome AAR Cav Dog! Fantastic looking vehicles and terrain, and the blow by blow recap of the fight is cool as hell!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Cav Dog - Great AAR. Good pictures and crisp description of the action kept the flow of events very clear. Poor Red Platoon. Seriously overmatched. Looking forward to more AARs.

Good job with the desert MERDC!

Tell me about your roads. Did you make them? They look like gray felt with hand painted markings. Are the darker patches representing recent pavement repair?

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Great AAR, and a fantastic looking table. I always struggle to make desert tables look right, but you've absolutely smashed it :mrgreen:
Begemot wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:43 am
Tell me about your roads. Did you make them? They look like gray felt with hand painted markings. Are the darker patches representing recent pavement repair?
They look like Hotz Mats felt roads. I've got a number of them myself and they're fantastic.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Thanks for the kind comments.

They are Hotz Mats felt roads. He is a skilled artist but unfortunately not much of a businessman. His online store is shut down but even when he was active, it took him forever to deliver the goods. He used to say orders would be acknowledged in 24 hours and shipped in 4-6 weeks. More like never acknowledged and shipped in 4-6 months but only after numerous attempts to get a status update. He would of course collect payment as soon as you ordered from his site. The miniatures page is full of negative posts about him.

He did good work though, I have several varieties of his roads, fields and a couple of mats.

I'm currently setting up the battlefield for E Troop's next adventure defending Al Amok pass.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Cav Dog - Thanks for the info on the roads. Looking forward to E Troop's next adventure. Hope they have better odds in the upcoming scenario.

What rules are you using?

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Do you mind sharing where the mat is from too? :lol:

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

The mat is just 2 yds of this sandstone craft felt from Joann Fabrics. It is frequently on sale in their stores for $4.99 a yard.
https://www.joann.com/craft-felt-fabric ... y5EALw_wcB

Rules were WRG 1950 - 2000 January 93 edition with the crazy combat skills and posturing parts ignored and replaced by the basic morale rules from the June 79 edition of WRG 1950- 1985.

I used 1' = 100m as the ground scale as my table is only 3' x 5'

It was a solo campaign so there may have been cheating all around. Actually I think what caused E Troop their difficulties was very poor dice rolling especially by their TOW tracks. The Soviet AT 5s however were deadly.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Cav Dog wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:55 am
The Soviet AT 5s however were deadly.
That's one thing I really like about gaming earlier post-war periods. ATGMs can be absolutely brutal, especially once top-attack missiles enter service. I've definitely noticed the significant shift in the lethality of Arab infantry in various rulesets once they get access to the Sagger! :shock:

I'm definitely enjoying gaming '67 with the biggest guns being 105mm CN-105-57 :mrgreen:

- Douglas Adams

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

From a recent hypothetical battle. Elements of India's 1st Armored "Black Elephants" Division vs elements of Pakistan's 6th Armored Division.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

CAV, great terrain, look and camouflage. Really looks like the right camouflage for the battle.
Ben, nice game with that armor we never get to see fighting each other.
I like that bridge.
Last edited by chrisswim on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

BenfromBrooklyn wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:04 am
From a recent hypothetical battle. Elements of India's 1st Armored "Black Elephants" Division vs elements of Pakistan's 6th Armored Division.
I always forget that you can have a cracking game with only a few figures on the table. Great looking game, and a good use of interesting GHQ kit! :mrgreen:

- Douglas Adams

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

This was a quick and simple game based on the last ditch effort to relieve Velikiye Luki on Jan 9, 1943. I use the Toofatlardies' I Ain't Been Shot Mum rules and I wanted to try adding Command Cards to the deck ala Sharp Practice (Sharpening Up IABSM) to see if that would give the players a bit more control over their 'plans'. This scenario seemed like a good one to experiment with, especially since I was the defending-pretty well immobilized player. Attacking Germans had 5 Command Cards in the deck and the Soviets 4.
Overall I liked the addition of the Command Cards, unfortunately having new players involved didn't really provide a lot of feedback.
Link to flickr AAR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming … 293295779/
ImageHere come the Huns by Mark Luther, on Flickr

Image50mm not the most effective against dug in troops by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageRussian armor arrive by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageThe way is open by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImagePzgrd dismount on the right by Mark Luther, on Flickr

Mark

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

This thread is hot! I’m loving all the games posted here, you guys all have great boards and narratives going on! Everybody’s miniatures are painted very well, and I’m enjoying the terrain that people are putting out there.

Mluther Your winter scenery he remarkable! Do your own an equal number of winter miniatures as you do summer?

I felt bad for the platoon of Americans versus a battalion associates, I really enjoyed the play-by-play in that scenario as well.

And Begemot, your narratives are simply wonderful, go hand-in-hand with your great games. All very inspiring stuff.