Northampton rear turret

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Nepty
E5

Northampton rear turret

Post by Nepty »

Has anyone have a problem fitting the rear turret on the Northampton CA ? It will only fit if the guns are pointed to port or starboard. The back of the turret . bumps up against the rear tower when I try to face the guns directly to the rear. I know the rear tower is placed correctly following the instructions.

Any Ideas

Beagle
E5

Re: Northampton rear turret

Post by Beagle »

It’s been a long time since I made one, but if I remember right, what I had to do was lightly file the back of the torrent a little at a time until it fit right.

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

Another possibility, which I've done a few times, is to use a rat tail file to extend the turret's pinhole a bit and/or trim the turret pin a bit so it can be moved a bit aft.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

There are a couple of other GHQ ship models where the turret is a bit cramped in the fit. I remember doing the WWI Russian ship, Slava, and had to do some filing and/or widening of the hole to get the turret to fit. I'm not sure that the turret would actually be able to rotate properly if it were the real thing.

I always test fit the parts before gluing for this reason. there is nothing like getting the spot coated with glue and then the turret only goes in part way. This applies to any of the other parts as well.

Nepty
E5

Post by Nepty »

I decided to face the rear turret to port. It looks good so I settled on that instead or filing because I did not want to take the chance of messing it up.

Thank you for your replys

Nepty

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

I've also noted a few other ships with turrets that didn't quite fit, although I don't remember any specific ones right now. It is always a good idea to test fit all small parts - including together - before gluing them in. I've had a few occasions when I had to file parts to fit AFTER i painted them. It seems to me that it always involves a turret.

Regarding gluing, I have an anecdote. Some years ago I was just finishing up my WWI U.K. Third Battle Squadron (H.M.S.Dreadnought & 7 KG VIIs). I was about to glue the last secondary turret into a KG VII pre-dreadnought. Everything was painted; I was holding the gun in tweezers, & had just put a drop of glue on the gun's pin. My hand twitched, and I dropped it. I'm still waiting to hear it hit the floor so I can find it and stick it in place. I'm beginning to suspect that I'm not going to find it. That model is one of the few GHQ ships that doesn't have extra parts, so one of my KG VIIs is still without all of its turrets. An order for spare parts is on my "to do" list, but I firmly believe that you should; "never put off 'till tomorrow what you can put off 'till the next day." That list is getting awfully big, though!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I know this is going to sound bat crap crazy, but sometimes I install small parts with my hands just inside of a clear bag, that way if parts twang off the tweezers, they can’t go far. If feed the carpet monster far too many PE parts from my airplanes and ships.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Beagle wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:13 am
I know this is going to sound bat crap crazy, but sometimes I install small parts with my hands just inside of a clear bag, that way if parts twang off the tweezers, they can’t go far. If feed the carpet monster far too many PE parts from my airplanes and ships.
I use a box from some mail order or other that is about twice as long and wide as a Combat Command box but about the same height. I can fit ten blister packs worth in it comfortably. I open each blister pack separately so I can verify all the parts are there and then separate each vehicle in it's own pile. If I get interrupted I close the lid and tuck in the tabs. It is no longer a play area for any of the catzillas. Finish that group and it is grab the next batch of blister packs and repeat.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.