Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Hoth, Panzergator, Polish GI, Begemot, and Beagle. I will be taking more pictures as the battle progresses.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

WHOO … WHOO!! :D :lol: :roll: :) :lol: :D :mrgreen:
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth! I forgot to answer your question earlier about the trees. I actually make the trees myself. Some of the tree material is included in the Terrain Maker packs. It is basically bump chenille which I cut into the appropriate lengths, curl it around a bit, burn off one of the ends to form the trunk, and then add some Woodland Scenics Coarse Turf with some white glue.

The other trees are done by taking some smaller gauge picture hanging wire and cutting to various lengths. On some of the trees I form a couple or three branches by carefully unraveling some of the wire at one end. I paint the wire some sort of wood color - brown, gray brown. I then add Woodland Scenics clump foliage to the branches by inserting the clump foliage through the wire and securing with white glue.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Let the Game begin! Here are a few more pictures showing the forces involved on each side plus a few more with the game in progress. The Russians have 2 tank companies with T-34/76 M1943 while the Germans have 1 mixed company of Panzer IIIs and IVs, It was quite common for the Germans to mix the two types in their companies during this period. I also have "in reserve" a pair of Tiger Is and a pair of Panther Ds in case I decide to use them.

The game starts with the Germans having just arrived on the board. I also allowed the Germans one free move to get them set up for first game turn.

The Germans

The Russians

German initial deployment showing 2nd and 3rd platoons plus the CO

Here is 1st platoon with XO in the rear. Pardon some of the blurriness. I am not sure what happened here.

Here are 2nd and 3rd platoons plus the CO after pre-game move.

1st platoon and the XO after pre-game move.

NEXT: Turn 1

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Looks great Pete! Curious to see how the Pz IIIs and IVs hold up to all of the T-34s.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

That is very fine work and a great display.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That looks awesome Pete! I'm looking forward to some battle reports!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you, Polish GI, Panzergator, and Redleg! I appreciate it.

Polish Gi, in Mein Panzer, the T-34 is definitely superior to the late Panzer IIIL and M. The gun is better, the frontal armor is better, and the speed is better as well. What the Germans have going for them in my scenario is better quality crews - veteran vs regular for the Russians. This gives the Germans greater command flexibility, a higher troop quality, and the abitity to take an extra shot. I can't say if this will be enough to offset the superiority of the T-34 but it will be interesting to find out.

Redleg, I will continue to post pictures of this battle as it develops.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great looking game and the board is excellent. Great to see your minis in action! How does maneuverability factor in, if at all, for the Panzer iii and iv’s versus the T34s? And I think the Tigers standing off will be a huge factor … if used…

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Burt!

In Mein Panzer, the T-34/76 M1943 is a very good tank overall. On strictly a hardware basis it is better than its typical German opponents, the Panzer III and Panzer IV.

In this game, the T-34 has a cross country speed of 6 and a road speed of 8. This is how many inches it can move in a single impulse over level ground. If using the activation to move combined with the bonus move it can move up to 12 inches cross country in a turn.

The Pz III and IV have similar movement capabilities to each other. Each has a cross country speed of 4 and a road movement rate of 6 which is an average tank speed in this game.

The T-34 is faster, has a decent main gun, and is pretty well armored as well. It is a very good, all round tank for 1943.

The Panzer III was on its way out at this time and has inferior armor and main gun to the T-34. The Panzer IV is slower, not quite as well armored, but the 75mm L48 gun is superior to the T-34's main gun. These two tanks are pretty well matched.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Turn 1. Both sides roll a 20 sided die. The Germans get the low roll so opt to take the initiative. On the first impulse, the Germans move 2nd platoon plus the CO up the hill to their left. The Russians respond in their first impulse by moving a platoon from each company onto the board. 1st company comes on the main road. 2nd Company comes in on the right using the fine cross country ability of the T-34. Both Russian platoons and the COs use their activation and bonus move to get a double move. The first impulse of turn 1 is now complete.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

YES!!! Keep the updates coming Pete! Looks like the game is off to a good start!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Wow, those tanks and terrain are outstanding! That's what makes me want to get in to making terrain. Now I just have to find the time for that and painting the models.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you, Redleg and Regia-Marina! I appreciate it.

I am doing this game and illustrating some of the highlights. The rules I am using are Mein Panzer by ODGW and I volunteered to do a tutorial on their site so that those that had the rules and struggled with some of the concepts or those considering buying them would be able to see how the game plays.

I probably won't go into as much detail here on my page but will show pictures with some of the action as the game progresses.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Wonderful pictures Pete, look great.
Chris