US Army Returns to a Divisional Structure

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

US Army Returns to a Divisional Structure

Post by Hoth_902 »

This topic should make Panzergator very very happy. One of my favorite Youtube channels, Battle Order, just dropped this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV4W8w1plug&t=924s

It talks about the US army switching back to a divisional structure and more importantly, a return to tanks to the Cavalry troops and squadron.

What does this mean for me, All my work to build a Armored Cavalry squadron, with Tanks, was not in vane.

On a side note, for people that are military TO&E confused.. Battle Order has been a really great resource. As to its accuracy, I have never did hard research to validate it.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: US Army Returns to a Divisional Structure

Post by Brigade Commander »

Hoth,

Do they provide a full TO&E or do they just count the pointy ends? Hopefully a full TO&E. Anyone say J-series?
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Brigade Commander,

I don't think they have a full TO&E for this organization. But I think they said it was a mix of a J and something else in the video.. As for all there content, Its a mix bag really. So some videos get down to the vehicle level and even get down to the actually individual soldiers and what weapons they carry. See below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuEJGyHrSlM - stryker Dragoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffClJPGhFdI - Canadian Mechanized.

I have gone to the web site, for Battle Order, and they have some TO&Es from the videos. see link below.

https://www.battleorder.org/

However, they do not have all the ones from the video. You can join what they call the "Brigade", but I am not sure what you get for that and if it has some of the TO&Es from the videos that are not on the free portion of the site. I have thought about contacting them to see if there is TO&E content that is not on the free portion of the site.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Thank you Hoth. I will take a look around this Weekend. If they do not I will be no worse off.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Ah, good. Great news!
My effort isn’t in vain either. Dust off those tanks sitting around rusting in a field. Grease the tracks.

I thought I was becoming outdated like PG. I am saved from that for a bit longer.
Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

The J series was absolutely EXCELLENT! All our wars in the interim COULD have been fought under its umbrella by appropriately packaging sub units. All the ABCT stuff just created a lot of clumsy nomenclature and confusion in orders. Combat orders are the LAST place you want confusion. People just couldn't resist the urge to F*** with it to get an OER. Now, all the skills and organization we used to WIN with must be reconstructed. SOME of us KNEW the division would be back.

Now GET THE ARMOR SCHOOL AWAY from Fort Benning so tankers can TANK again at proper speed. Just PUT IT BACK!
Last edited by panzergator on Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I have been GLEEFULLY aware the Army was doing this and waiting more definitive information. Next step: tank and mech pure battalions!

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

It will be so damn nice to see us put real divisions back on the sandbox .

1) Will we be getting a Stryker Brigade to replace the leg infantry brigade from the Georgia Guard as the third brigade Third ID ?
2) Will there be a big reorganization and reflagging of the current brigades to meet the proposed building blocks for the penetration and heavy divisions ?
3) They keep talking about permanently basing a heavy division in Poland . 3rd ID seems to be the most likely candidate with reinforcements from III Corps (1CD, 1 AD, and 34th ID ) . The 2nd Dragoons may be the new 3rd Brigade for 3rd ID .
4) Wonder if one of the Stryker Brigades that’s now in 4th ID will get chopped over to round out the Big Red One with its 3rd Brigade . Where does the 4th ID get a heavy brigade from the force structure ?
5) Looks like all the Chinooks and a bunch of the Blackhawks get pulled out of the aviation brigades for the heavy and penetration divisions to restore the 101st to a REAL Air Assault Division .
5) Will this reshuffling of the brigades mean that the new 11th Airborne Division get a permanently assigned 3rd Brigade ?
Just some personal questions and thoughts on how all this gets implemented.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Well, Chris, I AM outdated. Thanks to when I started all of this, I CHOSE a particular time frame. It was either that or not feed my kids while I tried to keep up. But I'm very happy with it all.

Roger, like you, many questions, but the nice thing is, you can take what the Army does and then change it to suit you. I'm thinking my corps might have a separate brigade of an airborne battalion and 2 Stryker battalions, for instance, or I might have a Marine brigade of a tank battalion, an LAV infantry battalion and an AAVP bn. Add a Stryker battalion to it. I have somehow gathered two Stryker companies and have to do SOMETHING with them - maybe attach them to the ACR or expand them to a battalion?

While in the main, I want to go by actual TOE and real units, I am not above crossing some lines. My 3AD will be strictly TOE, but everything else is in play.