Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

It was great to have you come and play in our game, Redleg! I had a great time and I do hope you decide to make it an annual event. I plan to be back next year as well although my drive is only a fraction of the distance you had to travel. I'm glad you had a great time!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Nice pictures of the game. Glad the hoopsters didn’t get out on the hardwood.
Mike & Pete, glad y’all had fun gaming.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Chris! The hoopsters were kept at bay by the convention people .... this time.

Mike and I had a lot of fun. It was great. It was really too bad Hoth could not make it this time as well. He was in the general AO for this but out of action that day. Hopefully next time.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

You have no idea, how frustrating to be that close to the event and then not be able to attend. Then throw on the fact I got COViD and missed the ability of meeting you (Pete) and Mike....... To say I was disappointed, is an understatement. However, there is always next year.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

Yeah, it was a big disappointment for Mike P. and me. Next year for sure. I may opt to run a winter battle next year of some sort to give my winter terrain something to do and create the illusion of cool even though Phoenix will most likely be hot again.

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Great game & AAR, Redleg and Pete. Excellent pics of finely painted minis. Hopefully you'll have a rematch! :mrgreen:

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Foxbat! I do plan to run a game next year. I do hope that both Redleg and Hoth will be able to make it.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,
It will be my primary goal of next year, to try and get back out there. To be that close, and not make it, demands that I make every attempt to find myself on the other side of the table from you. Maybe, I can use this as motivation to finish some units to bring and put on the table. We can all have our dreams.
Last edited by Hoth_902 on Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I'm planning to be there Pete! And I bought he Mein Panzer rules so I won't be such a newby next year!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth and Redleg! I am looking forward to seeing you guys next year. I will see what kind of scenario I can come up with as well.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

I was going to post this in Olfarty's thread but I guess here is more applicable.
pmskaar wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:21 am
The Panzer IV Bridgelayer in the GHQ catalog was painted by me.
To go off on a brief tangent. Are you (or anyone) still painting models for the Catalog, Pete? I only ask as I haven't noticed any new painted examples showing up on the website for some time.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Gazza

About 4 years ago or so, GHQ decided to go back to having unpainted miniatures in their catalog. I'm not sure all the reasons but one was cost. While I did not get paid with a check, I did get paid in product. For me it was a nice way to get more GHQ products and also to display my work in a public venue.

I am not sure if there were also a vocal group of people that preferred seeing the unpainted minis as well. When I started officially in 2010, I was doing all the minis. Two years later, I asked if we could get some others to help with the painting as I wanted to paint some of my own things as well.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:43 am
Hi Gazza

About 4 years ago or so, GHQ decided to go back to having unpainted miniatures in their catalog. I'm not sure all the reasons but one was cost. While I did not get paid with a check, I did get paid in product. For me it was a nice way to get more GHQ products and also to display my work in a public venue.

I am not sure if there were also a vocal group of people that preferred seeing the unpainted minis as well. When I started officially in 2010, I was doing all the minis. Two years later, I asked if we could get some others to help with the painting as I wanted to paint some of my own things as well.
Cheers for satisfying my curiosity, Pete.

As a purely personal thing, ideally I'd like manufacturers to show models in three states - unpainted, fully painted, and in just a light grey primer (with maybe a dark wash). As I think that the various finishes could highlight different details, blemishes etc. Granted this is extremely unlikely for even one company to do never mind all of them. It's hard enough to get some companies to show even one photo of a model - especially their older ones.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Gazza

I agree with you there. It would be nice to see all 3 states of finish on the models. Having said that, sometimes just getting certain companies to just post one picture of their products would be nice as well.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of the models I did paint for GHQ.

To get all the "right" decals on these, I did have to do some cutting and pasting. The M3A3 Stuart is painted as a 7th AD vehicle. The M4A2 Sherman is painted as a Marine Corps Sherman in the Pacific Theater. Flight Deck Decals now make most of the British markings including weight classification.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Pete - Beautifully executed work here on these two pieces. That Stuart is especially well done.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)