Consolidated Micronaut Wish List

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

foxbat
E5

Re: Consolidated Micronaut Wish List

Post by foxbat »

In that case, though I'm not doing modern, may I cast a vote for the Charles de Gaulle CVN?

Donald M Scheef

Post by Donald M Scheef »

Sure. Post-Cold War France aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R 53) now has 20 votes, tied for 53rd place.
Don S.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Don,
Here's a vote for the Tacoma class frigates. 96 total ships, admittedly later in the war, but still...

Thanks,
Submariner
All things Japanese Naval

Donald M Scheef

WWII USA patrol frigate Asheville (PF-1) and Tacoma (PF-3) now has six votes, tied for 538th place.
Don S,

BCR 570

Post by BCR 570 »

For specific modern European warships I would recommend those which frequently operate together with standing NATO groups, UK and US carrier groups. Some examples:

Canada
FFG Halifax class frigates (12 ships)

France
CVN CHARLES DE GAULLE
DDG Horizon class (FORBIN, CHEVALIER PAUL)
FFG Aquitaine class (8 ships + foreign sales)
AO Durance class

Italy
CV CAVOUR
DG Horizon class (ANDREA DORIA, CAIO DUILIO)
FG Bergamini class (8 ships + 4 to come)

Norway
FFG Fridtjof Nansen class (5 ships) one to deploy with UK CSG in 2025

Spain
DDG Alvaro de Bazan class (5 ships)
FFG Santa Maria class (6 ships) US Perry class derivative

Tim
Tim Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Donald M Scheef

I have added BCR 570's votes. The following ships/classes have votes as noted:

Post-Cold War Canada frigate City (Halifax)-class has thirteen votes, tied for 135th place.
Post-Cold War France aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle has twenty-one votes, tied for 49th place.
Post-Cold War France/Italy destroyer Horizon type has nineteen votes, tied for 64th place. [For now, I am grouping all the Horizon types together to maximize the vote count. When/If GHQ produces a model of one or more of these, I will divide the votes.]
Post-Cold War France frigate Aquitaine-class has fourteen votes, tied for 114th place.
Post-Cold War France oiler Durance-class has two votes, tied for 1601st place.
Post-Cold War Italy aircraft carrier/amphibious support ship Cavour has seven votes, tied for 430th place.
Post-Cold War Italy frigate Bergamini-class has thirteen votes, tied for 135th place.
Post-Cold War Norway frigate Fridtjof Nansen-class has six votes, tied for 539th place.
Post-Cold War Spain destroyer Alvaro de Bazan-class has two votes, tied for 1601st place.
Late Cold War Spain frigate Santa Maria-class has two votes, tied for 1601st place.

Don S.

Donald M Scheef

Akatsuki class photo is now available. It shows the ships with all three twin 5-inch mounts, so early-war configuration. I will remove this version from the Consolidated Micronaut Wish List and re-position the late-war version.
Don S.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Don,

When did the Akatsuki class go through modification from the early war version? Was it after the Solomon Islands campaign? Thanks!

Donald M Scheef

I have conflicting information regarding the replacement of a 5-inch mount with light anti-aircraft armament.
Several references, such as "Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships,1922-1946" indicate that for all four ships ""X" turret was removed in 1941/42 to allow more AA guns." However, there is a photograph of Akatsuki taken near Kiska Island in 'summer of 1942' clearly showing all three mounts still installed. There seems little opportunity for this modification to be completed before she was sunk in November of 1942. Also countering the early conversion date is that none of the Fubuki-class had this modification before 1943.
The Wikipedia article of the Akatsuki class states,"Hibike and Ikazuchi .... lost one of their aft guns in April 1944 in exchange for two triple Type 96 guns."
My personal opinion is to use IJN62 throughout the Solomons campaign and 1943 until spring of1944. I will keep late-war Fubuki-class and Akatsuki-class destroyers in the Consolidated Micronaut Wish List.
Don S.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Don,
Thank you. Your explanation is very helpful. I also would like to add my votes for late war Fubuki and Akatsuki classes to the wish list.

BCR 570

Post by BCR 570 »

Well four of the models I included in my selections listed on Aug 13 have just been announced as releases for 2024-2025!

Looking forward to those.

Tim
Tim Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca